*above pic submitted by o snap its eric

Scientific name: Potamotrygon motoro
Common name: Motoro Stingray, Ocellate River Stingray
Genus: Potamotrygon
Order: Rajiformes
Class Elasmobranchii
Family: Potamotrygonidae
Size: 18" (45cm)
Origin: Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay, Venezuela (Amazon River & Orinoco River)
Tank setup: A minimum of 50 Gallons is needed, sand is preferred over gravel, and no sharp decorations, no decorations is even better.
Compatibility: Armed with a harmful spike stingrays are capable of killing most fish, but the sting is really only for defense and not attack, they are generally peaceful towards other fishes although they may try to smother tankmates, plecos are not suitable tank mates though as they are known to suck on the rays.
Temperature: 75-82°F (24-28°C)
Hardness: 10.0dH
pH: 5.0-6.0
Feeding: Shrimps, small fish, shellfish and worms

P motoro is the most commonly available of the freshwater stingrays, it is known for its beautiful spots that cover it and can come in a few different forms.
As with all stingrays it comes with a sting, a spine up to 6" long which it uses for defense, this has a venom on it which can be painful, but not serious and can be treated fairly easily, if you do get stung it is said that the best thing to do would be to first run the wound under cold salty water to remove as much venom as possible, then to plunge the wound into warm salty water (as warm as you can stand) as the heat will kill off the rest of the venom.
The spikes can have the venom removed, but it can still be painful if it stabs you.
These fish have also been known from to catch other fish with the spikes, so beware if keeping them with other fishes.
Beware with young motoro rays as the tip of there tails have a habit of becoming damaged, this can cause them to disintegrate, so it is suggested to add some treatment if you see this happening.

*If you have any pics or comments on this species please add them below

heres a handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link

·
Photographic Genius
3,492 Posts
I wouldn't say that Rays are completely unaggressive towards other fish. Juveniles are usually pretty indifferent, but as they become sexually mature, they can get downright nasty. I have a Motoro that cannot be kept with any slow moving bottom dwellers or other Stingrays because he will kill them. Older Rays also like to "humple" slower moving fish by hopping on top of them. Once they realize that the fish is not food, they will usually cease and decist, but that's not always the case. Either way, it can be pretty stressful for the victim fish. Predatory Cats can end up being victims. My 11" B. juruense has lost his dorsal fin numerous times due to Ray bites...luckily it has grown back each time.

I'm not saying that Rays are nasty like most Cichlids...but don't expect them to be completely innocent angels either. The best way I can describe them is that they act like little kids...they always have to touch...everything. I'll come home and one of them will be humpling the Datnoid or something and yelling at them only results in a look like, "What, did I do something? Feed me...NOW."

My Motoro Gallery

My General Guide to Stingrays

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dracofish said:
I wouldn't say that Rays are completely unaggressive towards other fish. Juveniles are usually pretty indifferent, but as they become sexually mature, they can get downright nasty. I have a Motoro that cannot be kept with any slow moving bottom dwellers or other Stingrays because he will kill them. Older Rays also like to "humple" slower moving fish by hopping on top of them. Once they realize that the fish is not food, they will usually cease and decist, but that's not always the case. Either way, it can be pretty stressful for the victim fish. Predatory Cats can end up being victims. My 11" B. juruense has lost his dorsal fin numerous times due to Ray bites...luckily it has grown back each time.

I'm not saying that Rays are nasty like most Cichlids...but don't expect them to be completely innocent angels either. The best way I can describe them is that they act like little kids...they always have to touch...everything. I'll come home and one of them will be humpling the Datnoid or something and yelling at them only results in a look like, "What, did I do something? Feed me...NOW."

My Motoro Gallery

My General Guide to Stingrays
lol thanks Draco, I'll change the profile a little later

·
Photographic Genius
3,492 Posts
NTcaribe said:
Innes you state that motoro's need 50g atleast

this true..or would one consider a bigger tank of 100g?
[snapback]946171[/snapback]​
A 75g is a decent starter tank, though I really don't recommend going any smaller than that. It will do for a while, but it'll have to be upgraded in time as Motoros can easily reach 18" in disk diameter, and that's not including the tail!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts