above pics submitted by Innes

Scientific name: Polypterus senegalus
Common name: Senegal bichir
Synonyms: Cuvier's bichir, P. arnaudii
Genus: Polypterus
Order: Polypteriformes
Family: Polypteridae
Size: 12" (30cm), slightly larger in the wild
Origin: Africa - East, West and central.
Tank setup: Provide plenty of space and some places to hide
Compatibility: peacefull, but will eat anything it can fit in its mouth, good with cichlids & catfish.
Temperature: 77-81°F (25-27°C)
Hardness: Soft-Hard
pH: 6.5-7.0
Feeding: Carnivore, provide flesh on the regular diet, perhaps prawns, beefheart, and also may accept dried foods

This is possibly the most common bichir available, it is known like other bichirs to be pretty good at escaping through gaps in lids so be sure you have a tight fitting lid.
There are said to be 3 subspecies: Polypterus senegalus meridionalis, Polypterus senegalus senegalus and an unnamed species.

As far as keeping them in the home aquarium they seem to be quite shy, but at the same time they are pretty tough and can live with reasonably sized fishes like cichlids & catfish, I personally have mine with a severum, tyre-track eel and some catfish, they love having hiding places where they will sit for hours at a time.

It is said that they can become terratorial with there own kind, and if kept together should be provided with a hiding space each.

I have been advised these should not be placed with a pleco as the pleco may try to suck the sides of the bichir, and also that if medicating you should half the reccomended normal dosage as these fish are sensative to them.

*If you have any pics or comments on this species please add them below

heres a handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link
Heres another handy link

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Banned
974 Posts
if it maxes at 12 inches and is a snake -like shape i see no reason why it cant be kept in a 29g tank its 30 inches (the tank)

what would you say is the minimum tank size, 55g?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts