1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts

*above pics submitted by Innes

Scientific Name: Pleurodeles waltl
Common Name: Spanish Ribbed Newt
Synonyms: Iberian Ribbed Newt, Sharp-ribbed Newt
Subspecies: None recognized, however, Pleurodeles poireti, the Algerian Ribbed Newt is considered by some to be a subspecies of Pleurodeles waltl.
Distribution: Spain, Portugal, and Morocco.
Size: Up to 12"
Difficulty: These newts are very hardy and easy to maintain.
Food: Tubifex worms, night crawler sections, baby snails, daphnia, small insects and regular fish foods.
Housing: These newts do best in aquariums with a gravel substrate, plenty of plants, it is also suggested to have a small land area.
Life span: 8-12 years, and generally up to 20 years in captivity.
Water: Use only dechlorinated/dechloramined water.
pH: 6.8-7.2
Temperature: 66-70F (19-21C)
Lighting: Standard aquarium lighting as for tropical fish is sufficient for these Newts.
Heating: Supplemental heating is not needed for this species, under normal conditions.
Compatibility: suitable to be kept in groups and also with non-aggressive fish, I personally keep my one with a couple of Chinese Firebelly Newts, but it is the same size as them right now, they are known to eat fish when larger so do not go with small fish.

I have not owned my Spanish Ribbed Newt too long, but since I got it it has lived with some neon tetras and chinese firebelly newts eating fishfood, daphnia and also bloodworms, I have not had any problems with it in terms of illness or aggression towards the other newts or the neon tetras.

This newt should be housed in a well planted tank with plenty of space and about 7" of water and a small amount of land area, and kept below 21c

This newt is reported to be easy to breed with the right environment, the temp should be as close to 20c as possible, the water level raised, and light level increased

*If you have any pics or comments on this species please add them below

heres a handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link

·
Too tasty to give up.
7,043 Posts
How many newts do you have??