Size: Up to 5" (12.5cm)
Origin: S. America: Peru and Columbia
Tank Setup: Plenty of open swimming space and caves or plants for refuges
Compatibility: Suitable for community tanks, but not with smaller fishes
Temperature: 22-25oC (72-77oF)
Hardness: Fairly soft (4-8 dGH)
pH: Slightly acidic (pH 6-7)
Feeding: Carnivore/Insectivore, but will take most foods

This fish is a popular aquarium fish, in fact it is the most popular fish from its family Pimelodidae which has 300+ species.
This fish does well in community tanks, especially in groups of 4 or more, single specimens do not seem to be as happy as in groups.
This fish can be semi-aggressive but should not really bother any fish larger than itself, it will however snack on neon sized fishes when it is swimming around the tank at night time.
It is recommended that caution is taken when catching and transporting these fishes in bags as they have spikes in their fins which have been known to burst the bags, and get caught in nets.
These fish can become territorial to others of the same species when older and can even be heard squabbling from across the room.
Be sire to keep the water conditions good as poor water quality can cause the long barbells to erode.

*If you have any pics or comments on this species please add them below

heres a handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
pictus catfish kick total ass.

IME they will form territories and defend it against ANY fish, not just conspecifics. Mine fights with various cichlids over possession of caves all the time. Holds his own quite nicely, and will fight back every bit as tenaciously as the cichlids.

I think as far as water parameters go, this fish is very hardy and can go well outside the 'recommended' indigenous range. His tank has a ph of 8 and the GH is 15, and he is thriving.

·
Too tasty to give up.
7,043 Posts
wait.....dont they grow up to 10"?? Thats what LiveAquaria says......

Damn only 5 inches then he'll get ripped my FH and Dempseys

Thanks for the Great FOTW, I've always been wondering about if I should get a Pictus

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
UGLY IF U ASK ME

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BoomerSub said:
crazyklown89 said:
wait.....dont they grow up to 10"?? Thats what LiveAquaria says......
You're probably confusing Pimelodus pictus with P. blochii or P. clarias, both of which do reach 10" and are also sold as "pictus cats".

-PK
Welcome to PFury

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
most brainless animal on earth.... haha stupid deer in the headlights look at all times, but their behaviour in groups is quite intresting. It was great coming home to nothing but a pictus' head and an angry FH. Pictus will not survive with FH so i would recommend it. On the other hand i have a pim. maculatus which behaves completely different seems to be better with the cichlids and also survived a year with a brandtii piranha.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts