Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,773 Posts

Nike's fish^

Common Name: Jaguar, Aztec Cichlid

Scientific Name: Parachromis Managuense

Diet: Jag's are opportunistic piscivores that enjoy soft rayed fish, so fish meat is a good food item, but avoid feeding store bought feeders as they are a huge risk of parastic introduction. Hikari gold pellets, krill and earth worms make great foods as well.

Max sizes: Males- 15-16" Females- 12-13"

Water temperature: 74-84F

Water chemistry: 6.8-7.8

Minimum Tank: 75 gallon (48x18x20)

Species Description: Jag's are beautiful fish with a gold/yellowish back ground with black markings all over the body.

Sexing:
Sexing this fish is very difficult when they are young because they all have black striping. The males will nearly if not completely vanish upon reaching maturity whereas the females stay with her throughout her life. The male is also gold with black speckles. Once mature males are larger than females as well. Males are also, larger and usually more colorful.

Breeding: Breeding jags is just like breeding many other cichlids. They are sexually mature by 4" and the female will lay up to 500 eggs on a flat surface such as slate. They tend to breed out in the open a majority of the time. The female will lay eggs while the male follows up and fertilizes them. The female then fans the eggs and the male guards the perimeter. The young hatch around 3-5 day's after being laid. They then become wigglers feeding on their yolk sac's. About 5-8 day's later they are free swimming and can be fed, micro worms, baby brine and crushed flake. The parents will feed them as well and they start out feeding on organic matter in well established tanks.

·
Registered
7,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OtheG said:
Question: can these guys live w/ oscars? they look almost identicle.
[snapback]901176[/snapback]​
There are numerous diffrences between jaguars and oscars... And yes, you can keep the two species together. But I wouldnt recomend trying it in anything under a 125g

·
Registered
536 Posts
Great profile lemmywinks :nod: i personally like that jaguar in the photo.
Another unique behavior,is that as they mature they became more social with tank mates and if you ask me that's pretty cool bahavior in a big aggressive cichlid.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Nice,

got my eye on 1 of these at my lfs, nice 1 it is too, a good 7" + not sure if it's M or F tho, will be able to tell now with the info here :nod:

It's £18-00 and I like it a lot!!!!!!

·
Registered
24,433 Posts
Nice work Lemmy!

I'd add 'similar species' from that genus so people know if their care is similar (maybe loiselli???) or very different (dovii), but that might be excessive...

·
Registered
7,773 Posts
acestro said:
Nice work Lemmy!

I'd add 'similar species' from that genus so people know if their care is similar (maybe loiselli???) or very different (dovii), but that might be excessive...

[snapback]916573[/snapback]​
no problem at all. I'll try to make profiles for the rest of the parachromis species (motaguense, friedricksthalli, loiselli) as well as a few other of the guapotes

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
wicked

1 - 12 of 12 Posts