Common Name: Butterflyfish
Family: Pantodontidae
Size: up to 4 inches.
Habitat: West Africa
Diet: Carnivorous, likes to eat bugs but will accept dried foods
pH: 6.0 to 6.5
Temperature: 73-86f
Temperament: peacefull, but may eay small fish or nip fish with flowing fins

The Butterfly fish will always be found just benith the waters surface, these fish just sit and wait.
They like to have some plants floating to lurk around.
They have the ability to junp out of the water and use their large pectoral fins to glide across the waters surface much like hatchetfish, it is said that these fish can even catch flying insects so keep a lid on your tank.
It is these large pectoral fins which give this unusual fish its commen name as when viewed from above it looks liuke the wings of a butterfly.
The long ventral fins are almost tissueless and this fish has a large mouth for its size.

This is the only reprresentative in its genus.

These fish are suitable for a community tank, but not with small fish or bettas as they will snap at them eating small fish and ruining bettas fins, they can reach about 4" in length.

They will eat a variety of foods, the ones I have owned have always taken processed foods, and also quite like the odd insect that is stuck on the waters surface.

*If you have any pics or comments on this species please add them below

heres a handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your so wrong, these are great fish, one of mine would leap out of the water for me when I tapped on the glass.

·
Beautiful One
12,070 Posts
Interesting pic

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
which one?

·
Beautiful One
12,070 Posts
The big one

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
this one were you can see the reflection of it in the waters surface?
it is a good pic

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
well they can, but they don't. they spend about 99.99997% of their time like the one in the photo - in fact in your LFS you may not even see them if they are in lower tanks as they are so high in the water.

·
Banned
974 Posts
do you think its a sitting duck for harrassment of does it defend itself.

check my sig to see how they would go in my tank

·
Registered
482 Posts
do you think its a sitting duck for harrassment of does it defend itself.
despite its inactivity this fish will defend itself and territory. Its best not to mix with top waters dwellers like gouramis and bettas but many many cases have been found succesful. I do it with no problems. But if this fish is housed with large fish like an oscar they will get picked on and bullied.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts