Common name: Tire-Track Eel, Tire-track spiny eel, Zigzag eel
Synonyms: Mastacembelus armatus armatus, Mastacembelus manipurensis
Genus: Mastacembalus
Class Actinopterygii
Order: Synbranchiformes
Family: Mastacemblidae
Size: 36" (90cm)
Origin: SE Asia: India, Sri L, Thailand, S China, Sumatra
Tank setup: likes to have hiding spots and also smooth sand or small smooth gravel for it to bury in.
Temperament: in my experience these fish are not really social with other eels and they will kill small fish even if they can't actually eat them.
Compatibility: suitable for a community tank, but not with small fish they could grab hold of.
Water Type: Freshwater, brackish
Temperature: 72-82°F (22-30°C)
Hardness: 15.0dH
pH: 6.5 - 7.5
Sexual dimorphism: Females are fuller when ripe
Breeding: As far as I know this species has only bred in the wild
Feeding: Bloodworm, frozen bloodworm, prawns, earthworms and small fish, may also accept some dried foods such as pellets and freeze dried bloodworm

I have to say these fish are amongst my all time favorites, I like them because of there unusual shape, there lovely patterns, the way they are so inquisitive about everything and will investigate everything to see what is happening.
My tire-track eel comes out from his hiding spot whenever I go near the tank, or turn on the light, he has a huge appetite but only for certain things, but as soon as some prawn hits the water he is all over it eating several bits at a time and making it so he is lumpy all the way down.
He has sometimes become a problem, he has attacked and killed 2 fish I tried to add to the tank, one was an angelfish and the other a black widow tetra, and he also chased my fire eel about for a few days before I separated them, however he is fine with the tank mates he has right now which include a Senegal bichir, a severum, some tiger barbs some catfish and an African clawed frog.
These fish can seem hard to get eating, but in my experience this is usually because you are trying the wrong foods, they will go up and investigate almost anything, but they may only eat a few things, so far bloodworm, frozen bloodworm, prawns and earthworms have never been passed up.
Although this is a powerful predator it is not advised to add it to a tank with particularly aggressive fish as it might get beat up.
As a member of the Mastacemblidae family this spiny eel has a row of spines along its back, it also can breath air and is reported to be an escape artist being able to find there way through small gaps in lids, so be sure to have a tight fitting lid on the tank.

*If you have any pics or comments on this species please add them below

heres a handy link

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nobody like tyre-track eels?

·
Too tasty to give up.
7,043 Posts
Sweeeeeeeeeet.

Those guys looks awesome!

G

·
Great profile Innes.

I came home last night to find my Tire Track Eel's desiccated corpse stuck to the carpet of my apartment. That fat 12" eel must have shimmied out between the filter spout and the plastic tank-cover, a space of less than half an inch.

I bought that eel last summer when it was only about 7" long. I was really heart broken when I found him dead. I don't think it can be over-emphasized that some specimens are real escape artists and require a very secure aquarium.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bullsnake said:
Great profile Innes.

I came home last night to find my Tire Track Eel's desiccated corpse stuck to the carpet of my apartment. That fat 12" eel must have shimmied out between the filter spout and the plastic tank-cover, a space of less than half an inch.

I bought that eel last summer when it was only about 7" long. I was really heart broken when I found him dead. I don't think it can be over-emphasized that some specimens are real escape artists and require a very secure aquarium.
sorry about your eel, it must have been about the same size as my one in the pics

·
Registered
469 Posts
I've got my eel in the tank with 3 lil super reds and all seems ok for now...Hoping the eel can hang...It even will steal food from the p's when it is feeding time...Mine goes ballistic on bloodworms and feeder fish...I noticed with mine it never swims to the top for any worries of an escape except for when I shut down all filtration on the tank and do a water change...Seems the powerheads I got goin on each side of the tank distract the eel and keep him on the bottom of the tank...They might not be the prettiest of things to add to a tank but most def- a very unique specimen to have...Rock on the Loch Ness Monster

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SMITZ71 said:
I've got my eel in the tank with 3 lil super reds and all seems ok for now...Hoping the eel can hang...It even will steal food from the p's when it is feeding time...Mine goes ballistic on bloodworms and feeder fish...I noticed with mine it never swims to the top for any worries of an escape except for when I shut down all filtration on the tank and do a water change...Seems the powerheads I got goin on each side of the tank distract the eel and keep him on the bottom of the tank...They might not be the prettiest of things to add to a tank but most def- a very unique specimen to have...Rock on the Loch Ness Monster
please seperate them, the eel will be eaten otherwise.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Water Type: Freshwater, brackish
actually these eel's are almost never naturally found in brackish waters. Very rarely some will venture into slightly brackish waters (sg about 1.00 3) and putting them in a brackish aquarium will only hurt them. True these eels will tolerate slightly brackish tanks, the addition of salt will only take advantage of their very hardy nature. They will do much better in complete freshwater and may attain their full adult length if kept properly. This common mistake is also true about ropef ish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts