Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DOC#003162
15,011 Posts
my sister just bought an Iguana and she asked me to look em up and get some info for her so i thought you

reptile guys might find some use of this its just real basic stuff but you can get more in detail with the links provided

Common Name : Green Iguana

Scientific Name : Iguana iguana
Distibution : Central and South America
Behaviour : diurnal (there awake during the day). If you see your Iguana sneezing its because Iguanas cant sweat to excrete salt.
Size : 5 to 6 feet and 18 pounds as adults
Breeding and Sexing : Just about impossible to tell when there young by physical appearance. Once they get older though the femoral pores which line the undersides of their rear thighs will differ, the males will be much larger than the females.

Males also develop a bulge behind there cloacal (butt) from there hemipenes (males have two penises that make up the hemipenes). Using physical differences it difficult to use as a method to determine sex as growth rate will differ. Full grown or at least sexually mature females tend to be more heavily bodied but males generally grow larger and have a more developed dorsal crest.
During mating (fall or winter) if you have a male it may get pretty aggressive and a little territorial and violent but will pass after a few weeks. If you have multiple Iguanas you could have some problems cause two males could certainly injure one another. If you see one Iguana bite the back of the neck of another and wrap its body around the other so their cloacals (butts) match don't worry their just being "friendly" and your gonna have babies.
Diet : Green iguanas are omnivorous, so they eat both plants and meat but tend to lean towards leaves and fruits. Providing a variety of vegetables fruits and grains supplemented with a small sprinkle of vitamin and mineral supplement powder will help keep your iguana healthy. Also keep a nice bowl of water in the cage that will also help keep the humidity up, Iguanas are comfortable at about 85% to 95% but make sure you keep it clean, warm and moist promote bacterial growth.
Tank Setup : A cage with lots of vertical space with limbs to climb on. General rule of thumb the cage should be as tall as the Iguana is long with tail preferably taller, length 1 ½ times length of the Iguana and width 2/3 the animals length, these should be considered the MINIMUM the Iguana should have plenty of room to walk, turn around and climb. Iguanas need full spectrum of lighting especially when young or they could suffer from calcium-deficiency problems that could prove fatal a good UV light will help. Under belly heating is needed to help digest food properly, heating pads that are affixed to the underside of the floor are recommended as heat rocks may cause thermal burns but the heat pads will not heat the cage good enough. An incandescent bulbs can keep you cage warm and bright. Also it provides a basking spot and temperature gradient, you should try to have one side of the cage about 90*f and the other 80*f.

extra stuff : Iguanas have excelent eye sight and hearing so take caution when playin the loud music and tv loud, they can tolerate loud noises but learn to recognize when your iguana is stressed. there is tons of care info in the links that follow but if you need it here it is.

lots of excellent pictures thanks to dracofish

heres some info
more info
little bit more
heres some more
last one, farm em

constructive criticism appreciated
:laugh:

·
Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
18,887 Posts
thats a nice profile
hope she adopted it cause there are 100's in animal shelters
cause they get way to big for most people to take of

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yup they need fullspectrum light running all day to create vitamin D3(absorbs the calcium of their food).

And the diet is very important.
30 - 70% consist of leafy
30 - 70% greens consist of solid vegetables
5 - 15% consist of fruits
0 - 10% consist of foods like as grains

here a complete diet, this is the diet of my Greens Iguanas:

Carambolas,rapini, green beans, figs, escarole, raspberries, leeks, snow peas, blackberries, grapes, radish, okra, pears, pricklypear, parsnip,mango,papaya,melon,carrots,punpkin, collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, parsley, dandelion greens

And feed DAILY, some care sheets in the web say every OTHER DAY, BUT IS NOT.

if you need help with GIs feel free to PM me.
Carnivoro

·
Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
18,887 Posts
And the diet is very important.
30 - 70% consist of nutritious solid vegetables
30 - 70% consist of nutritious leafy greens
5 - 15% consist of nutritious fruits
0 - 10% consist of supplemental foods such as grains
thats dedication right there
and that how it should be
all my herps look and feel healthy and strong do to the variety of the food i feed them on a daily basis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts