·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts

*above pic submitted by rbP NUT

*above pics submitted by NIKE

*above pics submitted by AdioPunk

Scientific Name: Hypostomus Plecostomus
Common Names: Pleco, Plecostomus, Suckermouth catfish
Family: Loricariidae (Armored catfishes)
Subfamily: Hypostominae
Order: Siluriformes (catfish)
Class: Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes)
Max size: 50.0 cm SL (male/unsexed; Ref. 26543)
pH: 6.2 - 8.2
Temp: 72-79°F (20-28°C)
Distribution: South America

The commen Pleco is found in almost every LFS and is a very cheap catfish, it does get quite big though - about 18" and requires about a 4' tank for life.
young plecos can often be seen on the aquarium glass like my one here

*above pic submitted by Innes

and they are quite affective at keeping the tank clean, not perfect, but better than without, however when they get large, they don't do so much cleaning, and they can produce quite a bit of waste.

commen plecos are generally peacefull, but some individuals can become quite bold, and aggressive, but this is usually not too much of a problem.
it may be a good idea to add some rocks and caves for them to hide in.

you do not really need to add special food for a commen pleco, but most owners give them the odd algea wafer, but they can generally do quite well from leftover scraps and the algea that grows all over the tank, they may also appriciate cucumber, lettuce and zuchinni

*If you have any pics or comments on this species please add them below

heres a handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Great info Innes!!!
Great way for members to decide which Pleco would be suitable for their tanks.. whether which would go perfect for Ps or just adding a new member.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think plecos are good tankmates for piranhas - especially if you want to keep it long term

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nice fish

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Well Hey Innes I was gonna start a tread, but now, screw it. How hard is it to get a Royal or a Gold nugget pleco. By that I mean, getting the tank the way they want it. I was told(by the LFS) that all you need is lotsa driftwood. Now obviously, I'm coming to you guys to find out the real info. Thanks!

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
some plecos do like loads of driftwood, commen plecos dont much seem to care, but I know whiptail catfish especially like driftwood, as do some plecos, likewise for other plecos you sometimes need to feed them a more varied diet with vegetable matter or even meat and fish matter included regularly.
but again this is not needed for commen plecos.

If choosing a fancy pleco I suggest you find out what is available to you and then before buying you should research their diets and required habitats

Judazzz has a gold nugget, and from what I know of them they are not particually demanding and can live in most community tanks, and will appriciate algea wafers, and royal plecos require vegetable matter like cucumber, lettuce or zuchinni as well as algea wafers

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

do you mean this one?

they should have a dorsel fin much like this one, but to be honest, to me this pic looks more like a sailfin pleco than a commen pleco, the site I got it from could be misinformed.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Innes said:
Judazzz has a gold nugget, and from what I know of them they are not particually demanding and can live in most community tanks, and will appriciate algea wafers, and royal plecos require vegetable matter like cucumber, lettuce or zuchinni as well as algea wafers
I had a 2" gold nugget: unfortunately, it got tagged by my reds (of all their pleco tank mates, those rat bastards picked the most expensive one...)
:sad:
It was quite shy, but ready to defend himself if another pleco came too close (my 7" sailfin included). It ate algae wafers and catfish pellets, but also shrimps and other scraps my reds overlooked.

Some pleco species, like the clown pleco and some other fancy pleco's, require drift wood, because they extract nutrients from the top layer of the wood. Others eat predominatly meat, like zebra pleco's, others almost exclusively eat plant matter and/or algae pellets (like my ancistrus, or bristlenose), and yet others, like common and sailfin pleco's will eat anything they find...

but they can generally do quite well from leftover scraps and the algea that grows all over the tank
It's a common misconception that pleco's can survive on algae/leftovers only - in order to keep them healthy, they should be fed supplimentary food, like pellets, veggies or meaty foods (depending on the species you have)

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what I ment was they will eat the food given to your other fish, and they will do well from it - not that they dont need feeding

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I think royals love driftwood. Every pleco I have loves drift wood except for the choclate commons. Mr. Brandtii was offended that he didnt like his wood so he slayed his ass.
There is a pleco for every application. I love royals! Sweet fish, hard as nails... but maybe not hard enough for Piranhas. The only plecos that should be kept with Piranhas or mega aggressive cichlids are Hystrix, Adonis, and Titanticus. You can get a hystrix relatively cheap.. should be under $50. Most piranhas will get messed up if they think they can bully him around especially the 3 foot adult ones.

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
BDKing57 said:
Most piranhas will get messed up if they think they can bully him around especially the 3 foot adult ones.
christ ill say
my opinion regarding pleco temperament has forever changed after hearing of the adonis

and id like to emphasize again that PLECOS NEED FOOD, TOO :nod:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts