1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts

*above pics submitted by Innes

Common name: Hoplo Catfish
Scientific name: hoplosternum thoracatum
Etymology: thoracatum, armoured
Synonyms: Callichthys thoracatus, Callichthys longifilis, Callichthys personatus, Callichthys exaratus, Hoplosternum thorae, Hoplosternum longifilis, Hoplosternum magdalenea.
Class: Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes) Order: Siluriformes Family: Callichthydae, subfamily: Callichthynae
Origin: Brazil, Guyana, Martinique, Paraguay, Trinidad, and Venezuela. The fish are most frequently found in standing shallow waters which are densely grown with plants.
Care: Peaceful fish, that should be kept in somewhat larger tanks. Can become a bit aggressiv when breeding, but if densely planted corners exist in the tank, no serious problems will occur. These extremely hardy fish survive the worst possible conditions, but still, they are best kept in clean well filtered water, with a ]pH around neutral.
Feeding: Omnivorous, all food is accepted. Best fed in the evening!
Size: Up to 18 cm.
pH: 5.5-8.3
Breeding: The male will build a bubblenest, similar to that of labyrintfish. A couple can be transferred to a 60 or 80 cm tank, densely planted, with higher temperatures(around 27 degrees). A lowered waterlevel is beneficial, as well as frequent snall waterchanges. After spawning it's best to remove the female
Sexual dimorphism: Males have a thick spine in their pectoral fins. Also, in the breeding season, males show a lila glowing belly, which is white in the females.
Additional: Interesting fish to keep, a good beginner fish if size is not an issue.

These fish are kind of like streched out corydoras, they are really social and will liven up any community tank, I have personally kept them for years, and they do live for quite a long time, I have 4 which are years old, and in the past I have had them for 8+ years.
They will eat pretty much any foods you offer them.

To tell males from females you just need to look at their ventral fins as males are longer, more spikey, and also have a red colouration to them.

These fish are supposidly very easy to breed, despite that I have never achieved this - not that I ever tried.
This fish may also be known as Megalechis thoracatum

*If you have any pics or comments on this species please add them below

heres a handy hoplo catfish breeding link

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
these are not my pics, my fish do look very much like the top pic, I have 3 females and 1 male, I will hopefully be getting some of my them and my other species soon

and 18cm is 9 inches, although I have never seen these catfish bigger than about 6 inches.

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
He is alright not really exotic

1 - 5 of 5 Posts