1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
DOC#003162
14,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Scientific name: Synodontis Eupterus
Common name: Featherfin Catfish
Synonyms: Synodontis Macrepipterus
Etymology: Syno means close, and odontis means teeth. And Eupterus means beautiful wings, one look at this fish and you can see were that comes from, that huge dorsal fin that extends way up.
Genus: Synodontis
Order: Siluriformes
Class: Actinopterygii
Family: Mochokidae

Origin: Lake Tanganyika, White Nile, Lake Chad, Sudan

Minimum Tank Size: 30 or more gallons for a loner.
Tank setup: Lots of caves or drift wood for it to hang out in. Leave some open swimming area for the fish to patrol in the early morning and late evening hours. Careful of your heaters, they may try hiding around them and could burn them. Id also use a finer substrate to make it easy for the fish to dig around for food with its barbels. It also likes a more subdued lighting.

Temperament: I recommend you keep only one of these fish in the tank by themselves, they can be very territorial to others of the same species and may even be aggressive to other bottom dwellers. They will try to establish themselves as the head of the tank.
Compatibility: Good with other cichlids, I think they should be kept with other African species of cichlids but they have been kept with South American and Central American cichlids also. If you have a breeding pair of cichlids they will try to get the eggs, and one or the other could get injured, the cichlid because of the catfishes spikes or the catfish from the cichlid defending its eggs or fry. You can keep more then one but a large tank and plenty of individual hiding spots will be needed for them to set their own little territories.

Water Type: Fresh water, temperature 71*F to 79*F, dH range of 15, pH 6.2 to 7.5

Size: 6 to 8 inches
Appearance: Colors change from juveniles to adults. The younger ones are grey white more black stripes, much more colorful, but as they mature the strips give away to black spots. Their colors can be rather drab and plain as adults but the beauty of their fins more then makes up for it. The dorsal fin extends way up and with the adipose fin is something else to see. These along with three other Synodontis are the only ones with three barbels.

Sexual dimorphism: Has to be vented to determine the sex. The males come to more of a point while the females are more blunt.
Breeding: Not yet accomplished in the home aquarium.

Feeding: Not very picky, i would just try foods that sink to the bottom and varied of a diet as I could provide.

Other Info: Don't be to alarmed if its hanging out in the cave or under a piece of driftwood upside down, this fish seems to like keeping its underside protected and keep its belly up against what ever surface it happens to be on.

References:
fise base
more info
more info
more info
plante catfish
more info
more info
more info
some african plants

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I just bought a f*cking big 8-9 incher for £30 ($58.78)

He's been in the tank about an hour now, he's an awesome fish, very pleased with him.

Built like a tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts