Scientific name: Nematobrycon palmeri
Common name: Emperor Tetra
Genus: Nematobrycon
Order: Characiformes
Class: Actinopterygii
Family: Characidae
Origin: South America, Columbia, Rio San Juan

Minimum Tank Size: 20 U.S. gallons
Tank setup: They will like a densely planted tank, (live or fake plants) subdued lighting and a darker substrate, to try and match there natural environment.

Temperament: Shy and peaceful, though males get territorial when breeding. They may chase each other quite a bit but with no injuries.
Compatibility: Good community fish, best kept in small schools of around five, and with other tank mates will similar temperament and water condition needs

Water Type: Fresh, temp 74*F to 81*F, pH 5.0 to 8.0, dH 5.0 to 19.0

Size: 2 inches
Appearance: Beautiful fish that has a distinctive thick black line that runs from the mouth to the caudal fin. With iridescent hues of blues and reds and yellows on a silvery base.

Sexual dimorphism: Pretty easy to tell apart. The male's tail fins have three points, the middle one continues the black line that runs the length of the body. Females don't have this middle point.
Breeding: Separate the breeding pair to their own tank because the male will get very territorial. Filter the tank with peat and also provide some java moss or some breeding mop material. The female will lay one egg at a time so spawning will take several hours. Afterwards remove the parents because they may eat the eggs and freshly hatched fry, but shouldn't be too much of a problem if you provided enough breeding material like the java moss for the fry to hide in.

Feeding: Not very picky, will take most of your frozen and freeze dried foods, flakes and various small live foods like worms and mosquito larvae. As with most fish the more varied the diet the better the fishes health.

References:
fish base info
more info
more info
more info
more info
more info
more info
more info
more info

·
DOC#003162
14,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dr. Green said:
add a pic to the profile

and terta's what a womens fish
[snapback]957375[/snapback]​
tetras are cool chump
i just added a couple links to some pictures till i get one of the gestapo to

go to the fish shop and take pictures

besides the characins area in the info center needs some padding and one day i would like to do a big

tetra tank, so as i learn you guys learn

·
Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
18,670 Posts
MR.FREEZ said:
Dr. Green said:
add a pic to the profile :rasp:

and terta's what a womens fish
[snapback]957375[/snapback]​
tetras are cool chump :rasp: i just added a couple links to some pictures till i get one of the gestapo to

go to the fish shop and take pictures :laugh:

besides the characins area in the info center needs some padding and one day i would like to do a big

tetra tank, so as i learn you guys learn

[snapback]957389[/snapback]​
actually i loved the pics of yorkies tetra tank
i want one like that too
but they still are a chicks fish

1 - 4 of 4 Posts