Genus: Cherax

Order: Decapoda

Class: Crustacea

Family: Parastacidae

Subfamily: Desmognathinae

Size: 6-16" (15-40 cm)

Origin: Western Australia

Minimum Tank Size: 29 gal for a full grown adult

Tank setup: lots of caves and rocks to hide in (much like an Mbuna setup)

Temperament: Shy but can be trained to eat out of your hand, peaceful to large fish (I've had a problem w/ it eating small fish)

Compatibility: large peaceful fish that will not prey on Cherax
Temperature: 59-72°F (15-22°C)

Hardness: 8-20 dH

pH: 7.2-8.5

Sexual dimorphism: Males have a deeper body and richer color, females have an orifice between their third set of legs and males have an orifice between their fifth set of legs

Breeding: Easy! put a male and a female in the same tank and breeding will useually happen within a 90 seconds then remove either the male or female. females can store the sperm for up to one month.

Feeding: Omnivore: algae flakes, bloodworms, shrimp pellets, cucumber…

This is one of the more entertaining pets i've ever owned. once aclamated they scurry all over the tank exploring every surface they can find. they interact with fish their own size in a non preditory way. really cool and fun pet to own. they will uproot plants though the java moss in the picture only lasted about 2 weeks in the tank. When the lobster molts leave the shell in the tank for 4 days so that the lobster may eat the shell, this will help the new shell harden.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A TIGHT FITTING LID!!! they are great escape artists

Word of Warning!!!! These lobsters can live here in our native waters! Please under no circumstances release these into the wild! they will out compete native crays for food

View attachment 117839

heres a handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link

·
these cold eyes lock much wonder...
5,532 Posts
neat-o dude i had one in my rhoms tank and it lasted a full dayy,,,ha
not as tuff as i figga thay would be

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
can you post a full body shot of the cray?

·
DOC#003162
15,011 Posts
i think since they are so easy to breed you awt to add

a word of caution in that profile to not release any

into non native waters

·
Registered
1,959 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I work with lobsters for a living in wales, i have come across freshwater cray in my LFS and was just wondering how do they mate with two orifices?
And also wondering if they mate in 90 seconds from intro how do they get round to eating in the wild? do the live in segregation or do they roam?

·
Registered
452 Posts
mating is fast because all the female does is store sperm in a sack to use at a later date. in the wild there can be tons in the same pond but in the aquarium there just isn't enough room for each to have their own teritory. these crays are also canabalistic to each other. so if you keep them together they might eat each other

this site will tell you about typical cray mating

http://www.nicerweb.com/sketches/crayfish/.../rusty_sex.html

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
can you get a sharper pic? The crayfish you have looks to be the common florida crayfish and not the cherax tenuimanus. Tenuimanus' are pretty hard to find and their claws are smooth and does not have the bumps which is common with the florida crays. Also the body shape of the tenuimanus is differently shaped. Their tails are rather thick compared to their heads whereas the florida crays have a big head and their tails are narrow.

here's a pic of my tenuimanus. notice the claws does not have bumps View attachment 117962

here's 3 more pics I found on the net, notice how thick their tails are...

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
nice pics do you mind if I put them up in the profile?
go for it

the 1st pic is mine, but the other 3 are ones I found on the internet. not sure if you need to get permission or not...I just found them on google images.

·
DOC#003162
15,011 Posts
nice pics do you mind if I put them up in the profile?
go for it

the 1st pic is mine, but the other 3 are ones I found on the internet. not sure if you need to get permission or not...I just found them on google images.
[/quote]
nope cant use the google pictures

1 - 20 of 20 Posts