Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
View attachment 100583
One of my juvi umbie^^^

Picture had of adult had to be removed, adults can be seen at the webpage(s) below though..

*Disclaimer*Without a doubt this is not "all" the info available on this species but this is to give you an idea of the requirments and general info of this large cichlid. I will tell you that this not a very commonly owned fish. No large wild caught specimens are usually available, all juveniles are captive bred. It's thought that Caquetaia Umbrifera made it's debut in the american fishkeeping hobby in 1975 as a "contaminent" of other wild caught species.

Name: Caquetaia Umbrifera

Common Name: Umbie/Umbee, Blue Speckled Cichlid/Monster

Location: Rio Tuira Basin along the Pacific Slope of Panama to the Rio Magdelana basin on the Atlantic slope of Colombia(Conkel 1993)

Size: Males up to 24", largest I've heard of is 22". Females up to 14" or so.

Feeding: Umbie's like any other large cichlid will accept Beefheart, Krill, Cichlid Pellets/Sticks and Smelt. And they will eat alot given the chance.

Body: This cichlid is a large open water swimmer. Much like Parachromis Dovii are somewhat elongated as juveniles. They also share the horizontal black stripe although are usually darker overall than a juvenile Parachromis Dovii and a little stockier. Juveniles will have a red stripe at the top of their dorsel fin and "blue speckling" at the tail end of their anal/dorsel fins as well as some on their operculum. Sexing at a young age is next to impossible. For the experianced cichlid keeper venting may be done at about 6"-8", how ever color, dorsel and anal fins may all look the same between the two sexes up until almost full size. Some aquarist claim to have thought they had a male Caquetaia Umbrifera until around 12" when the cichlid they thought was a male laid eggs.

Tank Minimum: 300 gallons +, even at this size in housing a male adult umbie major water changes are essential for good water quality

Temperature: 78F-84F

pH: 7.2 - 8.1

Tank Setup: For juveniles lots of hiding spots, lots of "safe zones", and fake plants are allowable. As they mature they should have a mostly bare tank with only large heavy driftwood or rocks are allowable. As with any large territorial cichlid heaters, filters, etc must be secured or better placed out of reach. As these fish are open water swimmers length/width of tank is key.

Compatibility: This cichlid is very large and aggressive and as it matures should have no other tank mates. Even a female placed in the same tank for breeding should have a divider with a "love hole" for it to pass back and forth installed. As smaller juveniles they are shy and "less" aggressive but will still descale other mates, even of their same species. In a very large enclosure other large aggressive tank mates may be attempted as long as refuge is provided.

Breeding: As said above the tank housing both the male/female should have a divider with a "love hole" that the female may pass through but the male will not fit through. Juveniles may lay 100-300 eggs while larger adults may lay up to 2000 eggs. Spawning can occur when the fish are 10-14 months, at which time tank temp. should be raised to 82F-84F, and you should see the female spending more time on the males side of the tank. After the eggs become "wrigglers" the female will chew them free from the rest of the egg shell and transfer them to a pre-dug pit.

Overall and Personal Thoughts: This fish is an awesome fish to own. Not very outgoing as juveniles but more of a "wet pet" as they mature into adult hood. Very large tank with lots of tank maintance(water changes) is needed. Males of this species are at a rarity in the hobby, there are many theorys on this ranging from water parameters/temp that the eggs hatceh at to breeders purposly removing the males. Whatever reason it is, it is [/b]extremly difficult to get a male of this species. And while normal juveniles can sell for as little as $10.00 or less, known juvenile males can sell for upwards for a couple hundred dollars as males are in high demand by hobbiests for their greater size and better overall coloring.

If anyone has anything that they think should be changed, please PM me and I will change the info. My intent was to write a quick "synopsis" not a full fledge article.

References: The Cichlid Room Companion

(For picture of adult male)Cichlid Scene View attachment 100583 View attachment 100583

1 - 8 of 8 Posts