Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts

*above pic submitted by Innes

Scientific Name: Botia macracantha or possibly Botia macracanthus
Other Names: Clown loach, Clown botia, tiger loach, tiger botia
Max Size: up to about 24" in the wild, but aquarium specimens are usually much smaller
Temperature: 77-86 F (25-30 C)
pH: (6.7-7.2)
Water Type: Freshwater
Tank Level: bottom
Diet: This species will eat almost anything, but particularly likes bloodworms
Temperament: peaceful but may be slightly aggressive to other fish
Breeding: not much is known about this species breeding
Minimum Tank length: 60cm (24")
Distribution: Borneo, Sumatra, India
Sexing: this fish is not sexually dimorphic
Temperament: suitable for community tanks

This is the most colourful of all botia loaches, it has 3 black bars, one through its eye, one through its middle and just by the tail, it is because of its colour and also its activeness that this fish has become an aquarium favourite across the world.

In the wild this fish can get about 24" in length but in the home aquarium it is uncommon for them to reach anything like this size.

I have personally owned a few of these and I have found that they are very delicate when fist added to the tank, also once established they become active and you will often see it swimming about.
I had one which was about 7" and it would have battles with a pair of parrot cichlids on a daily basis, there was never any damage done and it was sure good to watch but I think this shows that they can become slightly aggressive.

This fish thrives with its own kind, it loves to shoal and so it is better to keep in groups of 3 or more.

if keeping this species be sure to provide it with plenty of hiding places as it likes to retreat from time to time, also when it is new to the aquarium it will most likely hide for a month or so as it gets used to its surroundings - this is nothing to worry about.

This fish is sensitive to water quality and is also prone to ick so beware to keep the tank in good condition and also look out for decease every time you add new fish, also if you do need to medicate be careful as this fish is also sensitive to some meds and so read the bottle - you may have to 1/2 the dosage

*If you have any pics or comments on this species please add them below

heres a handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow - thanks, and sorry my info is slightly out

how big would you say they get?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Wow that is one HUGE clown Loach. Awesome Pic! I have never seen one even close to that big. What size tank was it in? Man talk about cleaning the gravel....

·
Registered
711 Posts
for min. tank size, you have 24"... so would it really be possible to have one of these in like a 29 gal? It's like 30" x 12" or something like that. although, i wouldn't want to get only one, due to the whole schooling thing...

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you could

·
Registered
711 Posts
that's not a bad idea either... i already have a pleco in my cichlid tank, but would it be okay to add clown loaches? would they be aggressive toward each other (pleco and CL)?

·
Photographic Genius
3,492 Posts
If given enough time, Clown Loaches can reach a couple feet, though I'd say that a fish that size would have to be close to a hundred years old.

Those Clowns were in a pond with Koi, as you can see from the pic. The pond was probably 300 gallons, and there was about a dozen in there all around that size or bigger. They were asking $100 to $200, depending on size.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2'?????

as in 24"????

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wow, OK I'll cange it

·
Registered
711 Posts
i went out and got 3. at $7.50 a piece! i couldnt believe it. these things should be next to free they're so common. well, they are quick, but not quick enough. one of my oscars ate one. bastard. one of them burried himself in the gravel to get away from the cichlids. so i fished the remaining two out and threw them in my community tank to grow out some

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lol yeah they are expensive

·
Registered
711 Posts
eaten loach update: i was watching my cichlids last night, when from out of no where, the missing clown loach appears! apparently these guys are escape artists because i was sure he had been eaten and then he spent over 24 hours with a tank full of mean ass cichlids! i was quite happy that my 8 dollar feeder was back, so i netted him and tossed him in the community tank with his 2 pals!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yo innes isnt it time for a new FOTW??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts