Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Man, The Myth, The Legend
1,279 Posts
First two picture are in original quality:

I tried the auto touch up with these:

Pictures edited by MR.FREEZ, picture credits go to gecko from PlecoFanatics.com

Click here for more picture that will be added later.

Scientific name: Panaque suttoni
Common name: Blue Eyed Pleco
Synonyms: Suckermouth catfish, algae eater (also used for other unrelated species of fish), pleco
Etymology Panaque: Venezuelan common name for plecostomus. Panaque nigrolineatus was the first described and it is from central Venezuela
Genus: Panaque
Order: Siluriformes (catfish)
Class: Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes)
Family: Loricariidae (Armored catfishes)
Size: 10"
Origin: South America
Minimum Tank Size: 20 gallons (Though a Larger tank is recommended due to the value of this fish)
Tank setup: Though like almost all plecos the Blue Eyed pleco is very hardy and can tolerate most conditions although it has been found especially in juveniles that acclimatization is difficult. Due to the price of this pleco however (upwards of $300 USD) a very well filtered, highly maintained tank is recommended.
Temperament: A smaller Pleco but somewhat aggressive
Compatibility: Though slightly aggressive this pleco will most likely due well in an aggressive type community tank as it is not known to be predatorial.
Water Type: Fresh
Temperature: 66-79°F (19-26°C)
Hardness: Soft
pH: 6-8 (Will tolerate a wide range)
Sexual dimorphism: Males can be seperated from females by the hair-like growths underneth their eyes and pectoral fins (called odontodes). These growths often occur on other parts of the body such as the rest of the ead and the back-prt of the body.
Breeding: Has not be document in the home aquaria. It may however be able to breed in outdoor ponds such as the common pleco.
Feeding: A good algae eater, this should be supplemented with algae wafers, sinking pellets, green foods. They will also consume most other foods missed by mid-water dwelling fish.
Important to note: May starve to death through lack of supplemental feeding. May destroy aquarium plants if not feed green matter.

Extra Info:
This is one of the most sought after and most expensive of the smaller plecos retailing at upwards of $300 USD.
Due to the senseless destruction of the Blue eyed Pecos's habitat it is a very rare find in the home aquaria and truly a showpiece fish.

quote from Judazzz
The Blue Eyes available to hobbyists are another species, Panaque cochliodon. The true Panaque suttoni/suttonorum is only found in a very limited area in - I think either Columbia or Venezuela - , and area that is controlled by drug cartels and paramilitaries. Commercial fishing does not happen there, so no Panaque suttoni are available to hobbyists.
*If you have any pics or comments on this species please add them below

Here's a handy link
Here's another handy link

·
^word
4,324 Posts
why are these so prized?i dunno they look like a reg. pleco to me

·
1,279 Posts
Tibs said:
why are these so prized?i dunno they look like a reg. pleco to me
[snapback]970018[/snapback]​
Yea a regular pleco with BLUE EYES:nod:

Not only that, its because there are very few of them in the hobby as there natural habitat has been desimated by pollution.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Once again a good profile

Still waiting for members to submit pics of their

btw:
sexual dimorphicism: mature males are easy to tell apart from females, because they have a bundle hairlike growth below the eyes (called odontodes) and pectoral fins, and often also on the rest of the head and the back-part of the body. Females don't have them, or much less.
This applies to most Loricarids (Suckermouth Catfish)

Example of an adult male Tiger Panaque (L002)

·
1,279 Posts
Judazzz said:
Once again a good profile

Still waiting for members to submit pics of their

btw:
sexual dimorphicism: mature males are easy to tell apart from females, because they have a bundle hairlike growth below the eyes (called odontodes) and pectoral fins, and often also on the rest of the head and the back-part of the body. Females don't have them, or much less.
This applies to most Loricarids (Suckermouth Catfish)
Example of an adult male Tiger Panaque (L002)
[snapback]970529[/snapback]​
Thanks again for the additional info. You are the pleco king of P-Fury

Btw: not holding out much hope that one of our memebers has one

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
icedizzle said:

[snapback]971162[/snapback]​
Nah, I just did my homework

But I'm doubtful as well we have people here with such a fish: maybe we can find someone who allows us to use a picture elsewhere - I'll see what I can do...

·
DOC#003162
14,969 Posts
Judazzz said:
icedizzle said:

[snapback]971162[/snapback]​
Nah, I just did my homework

But I'm doubtful as well we have people here with such a fish: maybe we can find someone who allows us to use a picture elsewhere - I'll see what I can do...
[snapback]972125[/snapback]​
if anyone could find a picture to use it will be you , pleco man, sounds like a super hero

1 - 8 of 8 Posts