Piranhas Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Don't f*ck with the fairy.
5,147 Posts
I usually consider that size the betta's body minus tail - because veil tailed varieties tend to have varying lengths, right up to a male I had that his tail had to go at least 2" on its own in addition to his 2.25" body. The average body length is usually more like 1.5-2.5" with a tail anywhere from 3/4" to 2"

While the veil tail, plakat, halfmoon, etc. varieties are all classified under B. Splendens, there is also a giant mutant gene that is still B. Splendens. While 9 times out of 10 they are plakat variety - they can be successfully crossed on full tailed varieties and then spawn-sibling bred to produce longer tailed traits. They have been known to get on the upwards of 4, and i've even heard 5 inches. Giant bettas used to be hard to find, but there are some good, dedicated breeders in the US importing these beauties from Thailand and working on incorporating the gene with their lines. A positive aspect of this is the price of them has come down (in some instances - the better the fish the more expensive is still the standard).

·
Don't f*ck with the fairy.
5,147 Posts
thanks alot just one more question on a scale of one to ten how hard is it to breed bettas for the first time?
Bettas are not easy. They are quite finicky and you can expect a high failure rate at first. The water can be too hot, or too cold, or you can end up with a 'deadbeat dad' fish who eats all of his fry or fails to keep them floating in the nest properly... I'd say probably an 8.

A big thing that a lot of people make the mistake of doing is going out and buying 2 petstore fish of different colors, who are most likely way past their breeding prime. I'd say start doing your reasearch into betta breeders who either ship or are in your area. Get 2 males and 3-4 females from the same spawn. House the males in separate over 1 gallon tanks and the females can go in a 10 G commnity planted tank. That way if you have deaths, you have backups. Many a newbie breeder has made the mistake of only getting 1 male and 1 female and had one massacre the other in the breeding tank and then can't get ahold of another spawn sibling.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hmph my dad says i have to be patient but i want a new betta TOMORROW LOL!
seen a real nice one with long fins and blue body with shining yellow head

hmm i wonder, i know that betta's can breath normal air but iver never found out if they can actully live their entire life on air from the surface.
Not sure if anyone has replied to your question but heres the answer anyway

Bettas, in theory, could live their entire life on land if not for the fact that they would dehydrate! They will dry up and turn into a fish looking potato chip. Ive heard that if a betta has jumped out of a tank, you can put them back in and they may survive. Don't know if there is any truth behind this, but it sounds reasonable.

Ask Tinkerbelle

41 - 45 of 45 Posts