Piranhas Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Don't f*ck with the fairy.
5,147 Posts
....not a 'man' but thanks!

lol. I wish they were as placid as guppies, its such a pain keeping the boys all separate!

okay, if you want to divide fish you really need to have a rear compartment for the filter/heater/etc. so that you get even flow throughout the tank.

step 1: you will need - plastic report binders (they usually come with plastic sleeves), aquarium silicone sealant, plastic needlepoint mesh, a dry erase marker, ruler (12 inches or more, flexible is a plus), a straight edge, black electrical tape.

step 2: on outside of tank mark off the locations of where your binder tracks will be placed (using flexible ruler to measure locations, straight edge & dry erase to draw vertical line where binder track will go)

step 3: apply a 1/4" bead of silicone along the flat wide edge of the binder, you cannot use too much silicone in this project!

step 4: carefully align and press on the binder tracks. depending on wether it is a weight bearing divider (meaning tracks will be attached TO it), or a free standing divider (meaning it will just sit on the tracks without anything attached to it), you may or may not need to run a track along the bottom of the tank. mostly you will need to do this with weight bearing dividers, meaning the one that separates the fish from the mechanical stuff as it will be the longest divider in the tank and needs the extra stability.

step 5: allow everything to dry for 24-48 hours. the silicone will put off toxic fumes, so stick it in a window with the inside of the tank facing out, or leave it outside overnight.

step 6: cut and fit plastic mesh to fit the divider between the fish and the equiptment. this will take some patience, as well as trial & error.

step 7: silicone additional tracks in place, make sure to measure & align these relatively exactly across from their mates on the glass wall. after pressing them onto the mesh, take a spare piece of binder and smear a little more silicone on the back of the mesh to affix securely.

step 8: allow everything to dry for 24-48 hours. the silicone will put off toxic fumes, so stick it in a window with the inside of the tank facing out, or leave it outside overnight.

step 9: cut and fit plastic mesh to fit the dividers between fish compartments. again, patience and trial & error are going to be needed here.

step 10: cut divider tracks to slide over the top edges of all of the dividers in the tank.

step 11: cut and stick on electrical tape over the outside of the tank where you see the silicone seams of the divider tracks.

I know it seems complicated but its a failproof system for dividing fish. if the fish are overly agressive towards each other (as my male bettas are), try black plastic mesh divider made out of 2 layers of black plastic needlepoint mesh with a layer of super fine clear plastic needlepoint mesh sandwiched between the two.

*Note: this was done to a 10 gal. tank. if a larger divider is needed, the plastic grates available at home improvement stores for flourecent lighting fixtures can be siliconed or suction cupped in. I've heard these work well for large agressive oscars.

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Awesome WO-man. Great detail on the instructions. I have 10 gals to spare, I just might try that out. On my list of 1000 fish things to do!

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Great info & pics Tinkerbelle

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
well somone said on here earlier they just got a male and placed it with like ten females in a ten gallon... That wouldnt work?

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
elTwitcho said:
So how long exactly does it take to turn eggs into fish about 1-2 inches big? At what point do they have to be seperated? If they put on decent mass after hatching fairly quickly they could be useful for... stuff
If you're thinking p food, it wouldn't be worth it at all, not even close.

·
5,147 Posts
hahaha. useful? bettas have a high cull rate, are a difficult fry to raise, and are sensitive to water conditions and foods consumed (baby brine shrimp have a high occurance of producing SBD in bettas, and overfed fry on baby brine shrim can also become 'belly sliders' for too long and fail to develop ventral fins.). a lot of betta breeders keep oscars or 5"+ cichlids for the non viables... but really they're only snacks.

to make a 1" fish you're looking at 3-4 months. I have a 4 month old male (jack) who is JUST over 1". fullgrown you're looking MAX 2" from mouth to tip of tail.

no, a male in a tank with 10 females would NOT work, the males hatch the fry! a male builds a bubble nest, and after coitus with the female deposits the eggs in the nest. over the next 2-3 days he constantly watches over the nest and picks up any eggs that might have fallen and blows them back into the nest. after 2-3 days the eggs hatch and the fry drop their tails they can remain this way up to 72 hours (it might be 48). the male will continue to collect stragglers and put them back into the nest, until the fry become free swimming and horizontal. at that point their labyrinth organ develops and it is time to remove the male.

if tending just 1 nest makes them completely exhausted and often very prone to bacterial/viral/fungal problems afterwards, 10 nests would definately kill them or they would not be able to care for them and you would have a LOT of unhatched eggs.

my suggestion is to stick to goldfish or some sort of quick growers, because bettas are ornimental, finicky, and a right pain in the arse when it comes to spawning/keeping.

·
Danse Macabre!
10,561 Posts
Goldfish suck, still looking for a quick grower. Thanks for the response and I wasn't doing it to be disrespectful to betta keeping (I think they're beatiful fish) just what you like the fish for might not have been what I may have liked em for

Thanks anyways and lots of interesting info in these threads

·
5,147 Posts
maybe something like bass? i know my neighbor raises them in an old above ground swimming pool to stock his fishing pond with. i don't think they take terribly long to grow.... you could probably raise them in a baby pool or something, if you've got the space.

lol. yeah i understand about 'food items'. i grew up with pet snakes... had 3 breeding pairs of corns, a HUGE california king, and a black rat. i ended up having like 3 10 gallon tanks of 5-7 female/1 male mouse colonies to breed food for them because it was cheaper to feed the mice & breed them than BUY the mice just to turn around and feed them off. i also bred fancies for the pet trade and show on the side... i had FIVE 20 gal. tanks full of them (being satin coats/long hairs they were more delicate health wise so the split was 3 female/1 male per tank)... much to my mother's chagrin.

i think she likes me having the bettas more because the tanks stay at my dorm room; there are only 2 ten gallons total; and on the weekends i bring the fish home with me they come home bagged and stay in 1/2 gal. canning jars that have the water changed daily.

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
i ended up having like 3 10 gallon tanks of 5-7 female/1 male mouse colonies to breed food for them

Keeping live mice is not for me. Oh, the smell.....
Frozen

What a fish that you can bring them with you. Everytime I leave my fish I have to worry, forget, or count on someone else!!!

·
5,147 Posts
oh they're not all as easy as you think... yes its nice that they travel exceptionally well, but GODS the water changes and pH adjustments i do everytime we go ANYWHERE.

I just picked up a VERY sorry little white/turqouise/burgandy VT BF male. pretty as can be and with a HORRIBLE case of finrot. for some reason, it just looks 10 times worse on a betta than any other fish (at least to me).

I don't know if he's going to live or not... his name is Ceasar and he's acting very neurotic and weird. never seen a betta like this before.

this shows how pretty the little invalid is....

and look at how TRASHED his caudal is (this is about an hour ago. when it was only partially starting to go)

this is the sad part about these very finicky fish. they are SO prone to stuff like this!

·
5,147 Posts
no body rot yet, and he's still got maybe 4 centimeters to go on those fins that is still healthy (he has a TON of finnage. thats why I got him in the first place, to put some extra finnage in my delta lines as they're getting really short). I can't wait to see how much grows back- if it was already melting away when I got him he's going to have REALLY heavy fins

i put some aquarium salt in the water and its incredible. the disappearing fins have stopped cold. he also has ben swimming horizontal instead of that funny 45 degree distress angle!

atm he is doing circular laps in the jar
yay!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts