Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
joey'd is da man
Joined
·
14,077 Posts



*above pics submitted by Nethius

Scientific Name: Balantiocheilus melanopterus
Other Names: Bala, Malayan, Tri-colour or Silver Shark
Family: Cyprinidae
Origin: Thailand, Borneo, Sumatra
Adult Size: 14 inches (35 cm)
Social: Active and peaceful, suitable for community tanks
Lifespan: 10+ years
Swimming Zone: Middle
Primary Diet: Omnivore, however some individuals will only accept livefoods
Breeding: Egglayer - not bred in captivity
Care: Easy to Intermediate
pH: 6.5 - 7.0
Hardness: 5 dGH
Temperature: 72-82 °F (22-28 °C)

This fish is not a true shark, it gets up to about 13" long and liked to live in shoals which is often not possible in the home aquarium due to their size.
This is a fast fish which will dart around the tank, and despite its size it is non-aggressive to other fish.
Balantiocheilus melanopterus is a popular aquarium fish that is readily available in most LFS's
this fish is a good jumper so you should have a secure aquarium lid if you are keeping one.

*If you have any pics or comments on this species please add them below

heres a handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link
 

·
joey'd is da man
Joined
·
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also had one a few years ago, it was nice, but at the time all my fish were silver or black,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,366 Posts
they're cute when they're tiny, but at 10" they aren't. Another fish that shouldn't be sold at lfs to unsuspecting idiots in my opinion.

The lfs guy had a big one in, I asked who traded it, he said some woman came in and bought 12 neons, came back a couple hours later with a 10" one of these guys and asked if she could trade it for 12 more neons. It ate all 12 neons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,694 Posts
Lahot said:
Another fish that shouldn't be sold at lfs to unsuspecting idiots in my opinion.
do you mean that they shouldn't be sold at lfs at all?

OR

not be sold to unsuspecting idiots?
 

·
joey'd is da man
Joined
·
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Death in # said:
dammit
sorry
hey, dont appoligise, I just wrote that just for you, and since it is not time for a fish of the week, as I just did this one today I added it to my sites species profiles, but hey I'm most likely to make it into a fish of the week one week when I'm a bit busy
 

·
Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
Joined
·
18,670 Posts
Innes said:
Death in # said:
dammit
sorry
hey, dont appoligise, I just wrote that just for you, and since it is not time for a fish of the week, as I just did this one today I added it to my sites species profiles, but hey I'm most likely to make it into a fish of the week one week when I'm a bit busy
cool thanks innes
 

·
joey'd is da man
Joined
·
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BDKing57 said:
i have a exodon attack video and tons of great pictures (very hard to photo the bastards).. i which i had video taped the time when i feed them pinkies!
well why havn't you posted it yet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,366 Posts
JesseD said:
Lahot said:
Another fish that shouldn't be sold at lfs to unsuspecting idiots in my opinion.
do you mean that they shouldn't be sold at lfs at all?

OR

not be sold to unsuspecting idiots?
exactly what I said, not to unsuspecting idiots. The same people that have a 10 gallon freshwater tank and are shopping in the saltwater section because those fish are soooo pretty. I think that these fish belong in the same category as Oscars, Pacus, Red Devils, Tinfoil Barbs, etc. Nice fish for someone that wants them and knows what they are getting, but not good for the person that should be buying fancy guppies and mollies.

sorry to get this off track Innes, I do enjoy your fishees of the week! keep up the great work on this, but how about Exodens next week
 

·
joey'd is da man
Joined
·
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lahot said:
JesseD said:
Lahot said:
Another fish that shouldn't be sold at lfs to unsuspecting idiots in my opinion.
do you mean that they shouldn't be sold at lfs at all?

OR

not be sold to unsuspecting idiots?
exactly what I said, not to unsuspecting idiots. The same people that have a 10 gallon freshwater tank and are shopping in the saltwater section because those fish are soooo pretty. I think that these fish belong in the same category as Oscars, Pacus, Red Devils, Tinfoil Barbs, etc. Nice fish for someone that wants them and knows what they are getting, but not good for the person that should be buying fancy guppies and mollies.

sorry to get this off track Innes, I do enjoy your fishees of the week! keep up the great work on this, but how about Exodens next week
well I think you just put this one back on topic


also I agree about selling this to the ideots who buy fish without knowing what they are buying (half the buyers fault, half the venders)

Oh and EXODONS!!!!
 

·
Beautiful One
Joined
·
8,799 Posts
Innes how about some more colorful fish for your fish of the week, or do a special on vampire fish or some saltwater fish
 

·
joey'd is da man
Joined
·
14,077 Posts
lol OK I'll do guppys & clownfish soon

and did you see the one 2 weeks ago?
It was a colourfull marine fish :nod:

*note it is harder for me to do saltwater as I have to reasearch first
 

·
reasonably awesome
Joined
·
7,613 Posts
how big is he?

the crayfish must have been at least as big as the bala to have caught him.. Did you see the crayfish actually munching on the bala?
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top