Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
tap or snap
11,911 Posts
-Scientific name: Amphilophus Festae

-Common name: Red Terror

-Genus: Amphilophus [at a point in time festae were under the Cichlasoma genus and afterwards the Nandopsis genus]

-Size: male 16"-18" / female 12"-14"

-Origin: South America - Ecuador

-Minimum Tank Size:
A female would require a 75 gallon tank as they grow to roughly 12-13 inches. Males grow up to 15-16 inches in the home aquaria and should be given a 125 gallon tank at the bare minimum. But wild male specimens have been known to grow up to 18 inches. Keeping any festae with other tankmates would require a significantly larger aquarium. 180 gallon if mixing with other similar sized cichlids.
Housing a breeding pair of festae would require a minimum tank of 125 gallons with a divider in case of too much aggression, but a larger tank is suggested.

-Tank setup:
The Red Terror is a cichlid so should be given an appropriate setup. Small gravel or sand is preferred so as to accomodate their digging instinct. Fake plants and driftwood should also be added for territory to be established. Live plants can be adde at your own expense, but do not expect them to stay in one place.

-Temperament:
Juvenile festae are not very aggressive but they did not get the name "Red Terror" from being a perfect community fish. Festae have been known to suddenly change attitudes once they come of age. The attitude change is usually heightened aggression and this is reached when the juveniles grow to roughly 5-6 inches. Festae are also one of the few cichlid species where the female's aggression can be greater than the male's. Though, caution should be taken with either sex when adding tankmates.

-Compatibility: Should be kept in a species tank unless a large enough tank can be provided.

-Water Type: Soft to medium hardness.

-Temperature: 77-84°F

-pH: 7.0-8.0

-Sexual dimorphism:
At a young age, sexing is very difficult. The main distinction between the male and female would be the coloration. The female festae will develop a large black blotch on her dorsal fin, starting at the front and ending towards the middle. The male lacks these. At breeding time the colors also tell sexes apart. The female will become a bright red and orange with dark vertical black stripes while the male will remain a tan/orange hue.
The male also grows several inches larger than females.

-Breeding:
Breeding the festae has proven to be a more difficult task than breeding most other common cichlids. This is due to the aggression shown between the pair at breeding time. It is not uncommon to find a battered mate, sometimes lifeless. But once a strong pair bond has formed and they begin spawning, you should accomodate them accordingly. Festae are cave spawners so a clay pot or another cave-like structure with a flat surface should be provided. The female will lay 2000-3000 eggs on the surface and the male with then fertilize them.
Within 3-4 days the eggs should be hatched. The male will help remove some fry from their shells. Do not be alarmed, he's not eating the eggs. After they have been removed from their shells they will be transferred to a pre-dug pit where they will live for the remainder of time that they're under the parent's care. They are fed by the parents at this time. One way a festae feeds its young is by inhaling food, crushing it and have the particles leave through his gills, over the nest.
Fry should be removed when they reach 3/4" to avoid cannibalism.

-Feeding:
Festae should be fed a variety of foods. You can feed them pellets as a staple diet. To compliment that you may include krill, chopped shrimp, algae wafer bits, and worms. Live fish may be fed occasionally and is a good supplement, more for mental health as predators than physical health.

-Additional Notes:
There is a common mixup between the true red terror [a. festae] versus a false red terror [a. urophthalmus]. The differences are very minute. One of the easiest way to tell the two apart is the spot on the penduncle. While both have this spot, the urophthalmus will have a much larger marking, taking up the entire height of the peduncle. The festae's spot will be only around half of the height.
[the peduncle is the span of body that starts at the end of the anal and dorsal fins and ends at the beginning of the caudal fin.]

a. urophthalmus

a. festae

------------------------------------------------------------

Female Festae:

Male Festae:

pictures provided by aquamojo.com

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Awesome. I might argue a 125 for a lone male speciman. I recently posted a thread on Waterwolves concerning my exper. with the sudden change in Festae temperment. My female snapped somewhere between 4-5 in. I woke up to a fish badly beaten that used to dominate her. I had to remove her three tankmates immediately as well. She lives alone in a 75. My male, who is 6in now snapped a month later, killing a full grown Auratus and beating down a few more heavyweight cichlids that, like the Auratus were more mature than him. He lives alone now in a 125 and hates everything. I would like to learn more about breeding and if there is a possibility of the two fish forming a lifelong pair. I tried the divider method, but I think the female is still too young. They fought relentlessly until I had to separate them. At what size is the female normally prime for breeding?

·
tap or snap
11,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fargo said:
Awesome. I might argue a 125 for a lone male speciman. I recently posted a thread on Waterwolves concerning my exper. with the sudden change in Festae temperment. My female snapped somewhere between 4-5 in. I woke up to a fish badly beaten that used to dominate her. I had to remove her three tankmates immediately as well. She lives alone in a 75. My male, who is 6in now snapped a month later, killing a full grown Auratus and beating down a few more heavyweight cichlids that, like the Auratus were more mature than him. He lives alone now in a 125 and hates everything. I would like to learn more about breeding and if there is a possibility of the two fish forming a lifelong pair. I tried the divider method, but I think the female is still too young. They fought relentlessly until I had to separate them. At what size is the female normally prime for breeding?
[snapback]940282[/snapback]​
i made the adjustments

i believe it's suggested that juvenile terrors should be kept as a group until a pair bond forms. otherwise it's really difficult to find a mate that's fit for the other and will just result in death. as for breeding size for females i believe, on average, it's around 4-5" that they're able to breed. the males should be 6-7", but don't quote me on that. and it is a possibility that your two just won't ever breed.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
It's funny that I had a group in the beginning, but the dominant female, while timid around other fish, beat the hell out of the other juvie festae so badly that I had to separate her early. She was clearly harder than the others, since she was not the largest. I swear I'll get these two miscreants to breed if it kills me.

·
tap or snap
11,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fargo said:
It's funny that I had a group in the beginning, but the dominant female, while timid around other fish, beat the hell out of the other juvie festae so badly that I had to separate her early. She was clearly harder than the others, since she was not the largest. I swear I'll get these two miscreants to breed if it kills me.
[snapback]940697[/snapback]​

good luck with the breeding process. i have a batch of 5 juveniles that i'm hoping to breed soon. let us know how everything goes

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Hyphen, have you made one of these for Green Terrors? You always seem to have the information I cannot find anywhere else online about every species. I am always looking for ways for improve conditions/diet for my GT. Just wondering if you had or will make one of these profiles.

·
tap or snap
11,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SirOneEighty said:
Hyphen, have you made one of these for Green Terrors? You always seem to have the information I cannot find anywhere else online about every species. I am always looking for ways for improve conditions/diet for my GT. Just wondering if you had or will make one of these profiles.
[snapback]941789[/snapback]​
i haven't done one for the green terror yet, but i think i can do one after my finals are done. thursday is my last one before freedom.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
nicely done

1 - 12 of 12 Posts