Order: Caudata
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class Lissamphibia
Family: Ambystomatidae
Size: 12" (30cm) but usually much smaller
Origin: Mexico
Minimum Tank Size: 10 Gallons
Tank setup: Fully aquatic, no strong currents, normal sized gravel can cause problems as they will swollow some when feeding from the bottom
Temperament: not aggressive, but will eat anything it can swollow
Compatibility: Can be kept with other axolotls (may bite each others feet though) and also goldfish that are too large to be eaten
Water Type: Freshwater
Temperature: 57-64°F (14-18°C)
Hardness: 6-16dH
pH: 6.5-7.5
Sexual dimorphism: Males have a more swollen anus
Breeding: Lays eggs amongst plants
Feeding: Beef or liver, earthworms, brine shrimp, tubiflex worms and fish foods
Other Varients: Albino

Axolotls are amazing creatures which are seen as a backwards step in evolution as it has evolved not to metamorphosise like other salamander species, therefore preventing it from spreading to new areas, it is also amasing because of its ability to re-generate legs and other damaged areas on its body.
I is actially possible for an axolotl to metamorphosise although very unusual unless it is injected with hormone injections (which can in fact shorten the lifespan) and I have also heard (although I doubt) that you can induce metamorphisim by lowering the water level slowely and adding iodine to the water althought I personally think one of the better things about axolotls is that they do not metamorphasise like other juvinile salamanders.
Strangely axolotls are able to breed in there juvinile form so not metamorphsising is not a problem for breeding them.
If you are keeping an axolotle that has metamorphed you will need to keep it in a moist enviroment with some soil without anything chemical added, and they will accept live insects as foods (like crickets and stuff)
Other than those morphed axolotls you need at least 10gallons for them and you should beware that anything they can get in there mouth they will swollow (or at least try to) so make sure the substraight is either fine enough to pass easily or too large to fit in its mouth, while aquatic they will accept almost anything as food from regular fish foods to beef, bloodworms, earthworms, small fish, insects, etc.
This species is on the CITES endangered species list however there are operations happening to breed and release more into the wild, also they are not taken from the wild as so many are bred in captivity.

*If you have any pics or comments on this species please add them below

heres a handy link

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
It should be noted that many of the "Waterdogs" and "Axelotl"
sold are actually Tiger salamander juviniles,

These animals are much different
in care and do Metamorph to an adult terrestrial state

It is important to properly ID the animal you have and not nessesarly
beleave what the LFS labels them as,

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Polypterus said:
It should be noted that many of the "Waterdogs" and "Axelotl"
sold are actually Tiger salamander juviniles,

These animals are much different
in care and do Metamorph to an adult terrestrial state

It is important to properly ID the animal you have and not nessesarly
beleave what the LFS labels them as,
yes agreed, and not just tiger salamanders, they could be other salamanders like my spotted one which will have looked much like the axolotl at one time :nod:

I noticed with my juvinile tiger salamander I used to have that its gills were far neater and the pattern was much smoother, it generally looked better and neater, it was also more aggressive.

G

·
Very informative profile Innes, but it's a week too late.

I was staring at axolotyls at a reptile show last week and I didn't buy them becauseI had no idea how to take care of them.

Now I wish I had picked some up. Thanks for the info.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bullsnake said:
Very informative profile Innes, but it's a week too late.

I was staring at axolotyls at a reptile show last week and I didn't buy them becauseI had no idea how to take care of them.

Now I wish I had picked some up. Thanks for the info.
next time though

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
i had one of thouse a long time ago and the dumb ass at the pet store said it would do great with my convics guess what they ate it

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2nafury said:
u guys watch the vdo where the red belly rips the water dogs leg off??
thats very uncool, "waterdogs" are on the CITES endangered species list

·
Registered
329 Posts
Innes said:
2nafury said:
are u serious? i use to see them for sale at wal-mart. and my neighbor buys it from a bait store to use for bass fishing a dollar each. it can be endangered are sure?

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
2nafury said:
Innes said:
2nafury said:
are u serious? i use to see them for sale at wal-mart. and my neighbor buys it from a bait store to use for bass fishing a dollar each. it can be endangered are sure?
yes endangered, they are from only a few lakes in Mexico, however they are commonly bred in captivity and many are placed into the wild, so they are not likely to become extinct, however they are endangered and on the CITES list

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I heard one way to tell if you have a true axolotl or a juvi tiger salamander is by counting the number of digits on the animal. A true axolotl has 4 fingers and 4 toes whereas a tiger salamander has 4 fingers and 5 toes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts