Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a good deal on a 50 gallon oceanic with the dimensions of 30.5x18.5x21.5. It comes with stand, glass top and some dinky lighting. It's $349 (CDN) and right now the store has a 'we pay the taxes' thing on. For a nice tank like that brand new I think it's an okay deal.

SO... I'll likely be grabbing that tomorrow.

I was wondering what suggestions could be given for equipment to get for the tank. I am interested in doing live rock, some reef friendly fish, and some very easy to grow and maintain corals... Any recs on what to grab to make it work , along with what lighting would be good to get, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
You'll definately need a skimmer, a powerhead or 2, HOB filter and T5 VHO lighting. T5 is good for soft corals and not very expensive. You can retrofit your existing lighting with T5 ballast and endcaps pretty cheap. I've a 48w T5 in my 55g SW tank with soft corals and 3x anemones.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Do you plan on a sump? I would invest in a 10gal or a 20 gal tank and turn it into a sump for a skimmer. You could get a reef octopus skimmer or a ASM. I guess the reef octopuss is the new good value skimmer.
I would put one to 2 powerheads like these.
http://www.championlighting.com/product.ph...=612&page=1

and 50-80 lbs of good liverock.
Having a sump will allow you to keep the skimmer bubbles in there instead of your tank with a hang on skimmer.
Good powerheads like those tunze's will last a long tome and are the shiznit. You will never use a aquaclear or maxijet again.

·
tap or snap
11,899 Posts
yeah, i say skip the hob filters and invest the saved money into a sump/refugium. they're not to hard to plumb either. i helped a buddy of mine build a sump for his 50g hex reef. a little elbow grease goes a long way.

for lighting i would also do the T5s. best bang for the buck for a tank that size.

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a way to do the sump without having the tank drilled? And in issues of power outtages how does that work then? (Tank emptying and such.)

I definitely have a LOT of research to do... I'm calling about the tank tomorrow morning and will most likely have it home by Thursday. How quick I'll be setting it up? NO IDEA. Little by little I think. I know someone with awesome liverock pieces and so I'll start slow and move up.

I need to get something for the water like an RO unit because I don't want to use just regular tap water for the tank. I've heard that's BAD.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Yes, Dont use tap water, Look for buckeye field supply.com you can get a good one for 120
Yes, you can have hang on the back overflow so you dont have to drill your tank. I would look for one that could handle 800 to 1200 gph.

·
tap or snap
11,899 Posts
just use a hang-on overflow. if you have a power outage you'll be alright as long as you have enough space in your sump to accommodate the water that will be draining. and make sure that you have a good prime in your siphon. if you don't, when the power comes back on you run the risk of losing the prime and the pump will pump all the water back into your tank without any of it returning to the sump.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
If you are going to go with the hang on CPR overflow system I would recommend going with the CS102. That will give you 1400gph capability. It has two 1" holes, which all things being constant a 1" hole max flow rate is about 600 gph. Thus, find a good pump that is rated about 1200 pgh or so and you should be set. That way you will not be pushing the capacity of the overflow, but still getting 24X turnover (at 1200 gph).

If you go with a sump, definitely make/buy one with a refuge in it. That way you can hide all of your equipment and grow some nice maco algae to reduce nutrients in lieu of having to grow them in your system.

The T5's are a good light system, or you could easily do powercompact for Zoo's, Mushrooms, etc... No need to go with Halides if you are going to keep soft corals.

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think the deal on the 50 gal is going to pull through.
Apparently the tank was priced so low because it has a chip out of the corner of the glass. I'm going to inspect it a lot more closely tomorrow. We'll see. I figured $350 for a brand new Oceanic tank was a bit too good to be true.

I'm going to call around though to check out other places...

What I might start doing is accumulating the necessary pieces for a sw tank locally, buying from the sw and fw clubs and such... and then once I have everything going for the right tank.

I've also considered selling my flowerhorn and turning the 72 bowfront into a sw tank. But I don't know if I could part with him.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Sorry, to hear that the 50g tank is not going to come through. I hate getting all excited about getting something new, then it not work out.

It might be hard parting ways with your Flowerhorn, but that 72g bowfront would make a killer Reef!

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah. It's a bummer that the tank probably won't pull through. I was really pumped about it. But now I am seriously considering the bowfront. Not sure though. We'll have to wait and see... I don't think I can part with my flowerhorn. He's kind of a fixture in the household.

·
tap or snap
11,899 Posts
i'd much rather have a bowfront reef than flat aquarium. it really compliments the look. my cousin had a 40g bowfront reef and it looked amazing. not sure what it is about the shape that makes it so much cooler to me though. i'd get one if i wasn't poor

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bowfronts are just amazing tanks... I was looking at semi-circle tanks tonight when I swung by the shop that had the 50 gal. They're gorgeous but disgustingly expensive.

And as it turns out that knick to the corner of the 50 gal does make it pretty much useless. I'm not willing to even pay $350 for it. I offered them $100 for it but they didn't bite. (If they had I'd probably have used it for a frog setup of some sort.)

·
tap or snap
11,899 Posts
when i get the money i want a corner (quarter circle) tank. they're probably my favorite next to the cylindrical tanks.

it wouldnt be a horrible idea to start garhtering everything you need. have you tried craigslist or your classifieds? there are some great deals there from time to time. just last week a person here was selling his 60g tank with stand and all equipment for $50.

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We never get psychotic deals like that. But there are people who sell through a couple of web forums around here. There's a local area aquarium club with a very active online forum. And there are a lot of sw folks who hang out on a separate forum attached to a Quebec based retailer as well. (Oddly enough he has classifieds on his site - good for business? No idea.) So there's definitely lots of opportunity. I just need to decide on the tank I want to do this in before I start buying stuff that I might not necessarily need.

I love the corner tanks as well. I was going to buy my mom the 54 gallon one from Oceanic at one point for her goldfish but she's decided that once the fish she has now die she is going to take the tank down. Too much work apparently...

G

·
Is there a way to do the sump without having the tank drilled? And in issues of power outtages how does that work then? (Tank emptying and such.)

I definitely have a LOT of research to do... I'm calling about the tank tomorrow morning and will most likely have it home by Thursday. How quick I'll be setting it up? NO IDEA. Little by little I think. I know someone with awesome liverock pieces and so I'll start slow and move up.

I need to get something for the water like an RO unit because I don't want to use just regular tap water for the tank. I've heard that's BAD.
May I suggest something like this:

Light Blue Wood Electrical wiring Gas

I was sent to the Big Als show as a rep for the Oakville store (basically no one else wanted to go..but I got free food
) and this was one of the more interesting products now available through the store. Its an all in one, overflow/sump/skimmer, which comes with the pump built in, all the tubing, everything you need to get started. It is an air driven HOB overflow powered by an airpump which stop when the power goes off (no water overflowing). I think they are around $250-$300, which would be a cheap yet quality replacement for all these sepereate entities.

The only problem I had with it was it was a tier II skimmer, not the greatest but till do the job.

Attachments

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's pretty cool, Danny. Thanks. I'll have to keep my eye out for that. Do you know what the product is called? Or who makes it?

Not sure if my dad is still planning to go ahead with a sw tank though. My parents were talking today about getting a new tv which would eat up that money, heh.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Take the tank to a glass shop and pay them 10 bucks to drill it. It will all have to be a little more professional when you plumb it, but then you have nothing to worry about in the way of overflow boxes and it will just look cleaner.

G

·
That's pretty cool, Danny. Thanks. I'll have to keep my eye out for that. Do you know what the product is called? Or who makes it?

Not sure if my dad is still planning to go ahead with a sw tank though. My parents were talking today about getting a new tv which would eat up that money, heh.
Its by TOM Oscar and its called the Pro Series PS3. Go here: http://www.oscarent.com/ then click New Products , and its on the right side.

Also, check out the Deco kit 3..it comes with mini filter and pc lighting which could house most corals. It has a great, tight fitting top to reduce evap and and its a very nice and modern looking tank. Cheap aswell ($70 ish retail I believe).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts