Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best method to disperse pressurized CO2 in a 4ft tank?
Currently I have the CO2 injected directly into my Eheim 2028 intake (on hte left side of the tank) and allow the gas to be chopped up and mixed in the filter.
The mixing is great as I can see the tiny bubbles being release through the outlet (on the right side of the tank); however those bubbles are not thoroughly distributed to the entire tank. The spray bar is position at a 25 degree angle pointing downward facing the intake but the CO2 bubbles seem to not able to reach the opposite side of the tank. The majority of the bubbles seem to float to the top at about the middle of the tank.
I also have another spray bar powered by a powerhead and positioned below the CO2 discharging spraybar. I use this to give it an extra boost of current to carry the CO2 bubbles farther but it doesn't seem to work too well.
So if anyone with a similiar setup, please share your method.

Thanks

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
for my dispersion I have a CO2 diffuser below the intake of a powerhead The bubbles do still come out the outgoign stream but they flow all the way across the tank and the plants are doing wonderfull.

·
5,336 Posts
mine is into my XP3 canister intake... regardless if you see bubbles on the other side of the tank, all the water will have relatively the same amount of dissolved CO2 throughout.... like an underwater growroom, with a small fan.... the important part is achieving the most bubble to water contact time, if you chop the bubbles up with a Phead or canister, or whatever you are creating more total bubble surface area, thus disolving more CO2 into the water in the allowed time before they hit the surface.... its a similar concept to filter media, bio balls were designed to have tons of surface area in a small space....

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mine is into my XP3 canister intake... regardless if you see bubbles on the other side of the tank, all the water will have relatively the same amount of dissolved CO2 throughout.... like an underwater growroom, with a small fan.... the important part is achieving the most bubble to water contact time, if you chop the bubbles up with a Phead or canister, or whatever you are creating more total bubble surface area, thus disolving more CO2 into the water in the allowed time before they hit the surface.... its a similar concept to filter media, bio balls were designed to have tons of surface area in a small space....
Very well then. I don't see any growth problems with the plants on the opposite side of the discharge.
Thanks for that comfort.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts