Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
sometimes boiling can cause the rock to explode or break...
... letting soak in hot water will also do.
...first test to see if teh rock would affect teh pH. do this by adding vinigar on the rock. If it fizzes tehn forget it.
after the rocks has been soaked and and scrubbed clean then it should be ready for the tank.
Keep a close eye on the water conditions and the fishes health for a little while. If nothing changes then you are set. Be ready to do ample water changes if not

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Note that certain types of rock will alter your water perimeters!
For example, chalky rocks, like coral and limestone cause the tank water turn hard (higher pH), which can be bad for S. American freshwater fish (piranha's included!), because the water in their natural habitat is soft and acidic.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
prior to boiling you should check for a few things, the pH as stated above, and whether it will effect your general water hardness in your tank, you would be suprised at how much a rock could change that. You can test that by placing the rock in a bucket for a few days and monitoring the hardness, or read up on what rocks will leach minerals into water, mostly rocks that are comprised of many minerals are the bad ones, I just cant remember the scientific name for them right now

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
...first test to see if teh rock would affect teh pH. do this by adding vinigar on the rock. If it fizzes tehn forget it.

Whoa!!! I never knew about testing rocks using Vinigar.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
the best idea is not to use rocks you find, but to buy them from your local fish shop.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
RhomZilla said:

Whoa!!! I never knew about testing rocks using Vinigar.
yeah it has to do with acid and base reactions, you need to test the other route too, instead of using acid (vinegar) you use something else that has slipped my mind,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts