Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realised, that crayfish are running crazy in my neck of the woods, can anyone suggest a good way of prepping them, without cooking first? i think if i cooked them my p wouldnt get a look in

this is the uk, and so they are coldwater crays, they would probably kill my p too if they had the chance, so best not tossed in live

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
you can toss them in alive i have fed mine crays for the past year just take their pinchers off. they cant hurt your p's if they have their pinchers. also if these r wild crays i would not give them to your p's they could have parasites i get mine throuhg my lfs.

·
Registered
925 Posts
The fish stores probably get them out of creeks to. haha
thought about feeing mine a couple but I didnt think that they were good for them...I guess ill watch this thread and learn.

·
Registered
378 Posts
You should quarintine the crayfish for at least a month. They are really dirty when you get them out of the creek. You'll realize how dirty they are by the change in water color. Do regular water changes and the junk should be out of their system. You can take off the pincher with pliers. Just pinch their claws, slowly crushing them, and they should let go. Its a defence mechnisism for when they are fighting with other crayfish.

·
Banned
11,729 Posts
if your piranha is hungry, the crayfish's claws wont make much difference.
get them from a bait shop...not only are they 2.99 a dozen, they're bred in captivity for the most part. so their tanks are usually pretty clean. plus, you can pick and choose the size.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
r1dermon said:
if your piranha is hungry, the crayfish's claws wont make much difference.
get them from a bait shop...not only are they 2.99 a dozen, they're bred in captivity for the most part. so their tanks are usually pretty clean. plus, you can pick and choose the size.
[snapback]928309[/snapback]​
i agree if your p is hungry but at night when p's rest the cray can hurt you p i have seen it happen. i have seen it happen so i would take off the pinchers just to be safe. i would rather not have my p's food hurt my p's

·
DOC#003162
15,011 Posts
xoshagsox said:
You should quarintine the crayfish for at least a month. They are really dirty when you get them out of the creek.
[snapback]927820[/snapback]​
hi risk of introduceing a disease so a quarintine is key

·
Registered
656 Posts
Take the pinchers off of em, dont want em to damage the p's in any ways... Maybe im just bein to over protective though :-/

·
Registered
648 Posts
I had 2 that I got from the pet store.. the first one lasted in my tank for about a month. THey finally ate the last one yesterday... wish I had my camera. my big guy was swimming around with the crawfish's rear end in his mout (the back 1" of his tale was already gone). It was so cool looking, this big crawfish that was still alive getting munched on.

But in the spring, when I can catch the crayfish, I will just corantine them, like suggested before feeding.

Maybe you could just cut them open lengthwise, like they do to stuff lobster. Then feed them fresh. (if you are worried about the risk to your ps)

·
Registered
855 Posts
heres the best way to clean a crawfish without boiling it.....im from mississippi and we use this when we fill up a 55 gallon ice chest full of crawfish......just take the crawfish and put them in a 5 gallon bucket and throw some salt on them (once they start bubbling or purging) do a water change drain the water and fill it back up and put in more salt and wait after about 5-8 rinses theyll be good to go....if you get hungry i got a recipe for some bomb ass crawfish etoufee

1 - 13 of 13 Posts