Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am i going to need a powerhead in my 180 gallon tank? If so what size? Im going to have 2xac110 and a xp3 for filtration.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
that filtration sounds good...i got an ac 70 in my 80g and it pumps hard....try 2 of those out, one at each end, get the bottom filter attachment too, i definatly notice a difference with that in there, circulates 400gph so that filter catches alot of loose stuff

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha I got more replies about the filtration than the powerhead...so do I really need a powerhead at all?

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
I'm assuming a tank that size will be a pygo tank?
In my experience, pygos don't really like a whole lot of current.

I'd say no, you don't need it, but would be cool to have one part time.
If you do decide on one, I'd say to have it set to a timer and have it on only an hour or two per day, and definitely off at night.

Anytime I've done this, the fish really get a kick out of playing in the current.

·
Offical P-Fury Ex-communicant
6,712 Posts
I keep most my ph's on a timer. Throughout the day they may turn on 20 time, but only do so for maybe 5-10minute at a time. I dont have them turn on for any serious amount of time till just after the lights go out with almost every piranha is most active. I find that doing it this way stresses the fish less than bombarding him with stong current during daylight hours.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Just an FYI, I have a maxi-jet 2100 PH (295 gph) in my 75g. It provides them enough current to swim in, but not enough to keep the entire tank moving. IMO, it is good to have at least one PH in the tank, but is not nessasary.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Haha I got more replies about the filtration than the powerhead...so do I really need a powerhead at all?
i thought the same thing.....i picked up an ac (801) which is an ac70 where i come from, so as mentioned by 2p2f that would be a suitable one for your tank...i thought mine was going to be a waste but my fish swim in it all the time, it would be a good pick up, and helps out with water circulation

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
I keep most my ph's on a timer. Throughout the day they may turn on 20 time, but only do so for maybe 5-10minute at a time. I dont have them turn on for any serious amount of time till just after the lights go out with almost every piranha is most active. I find that doing it this way stresses the fish less than bombarding him with stong current during daylight hours.
My pygos sleep at night.
If I come into the tank room in the middle of the night when it's pitch black and turn on a distant light, they're all hunkered down in the foilage.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
LOL p-man....same with mine, they're somewhat face down, and if i turn on the light they're a paste white swimming into stuff LOL....funny stuff to see....think i should turn my powerhead off too when i go to sleep or leave iton

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Thanks for all the replies...whats the gph rating on the ac801?
400gph im 98% sure.....grab a bottom filter attachment for it too its an extra 10-15$...re-washable (for a couple times) i put mine in 3 days ago....cleaned tank yesterday bottom filter was right brown, so its doing its job, its sucking up 400gph of crap thru that filter part....good thing buddy noticed it while we were at fish store other wise i wouldnt of got it..

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok cool thanks for the all the help. Ill be sure to pick one up next time i make a petsmart run

1 - 15 of 15 Posts