• 2 - Below Average

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 1 - Poor

Votes: 0 0.0%
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
i have an ac 110. sucks up all the debris in my tank from my rbp. it has a flow rate adjuster. con is the very brittle thin plastic

·
Squish Mitten
3,268 Posts
I gave it a 4/5. IMO they are great filters, but really chinsy. Awesome flow rate and mech filtration. I personally like emp 400's over AC. The 110 is a lil steep in the $$$ department.

·
Registered
354 Posts
By far the best job on the market. Nothing else even comes close.
After discovering the aquaclear system 8 years ago, I have never purchased another HOB. I used to waste money on marineland HOB filters because I was told they were good, only to find that they were useless.
I think I still have the side by side comparison write up I did a couple years back. If I can find it I will post it up.

·
YOU SUCK AT LIFE
3,363 Posts
70's and 110's are great but anything smaller like the 50 or below suck imo
J says it I turned him on to these filters a few years ago and they are great if you have a 70 or 110 but the 20 30 or 50 just blow.

·
Squish Mitten
3,268 Posts
I agree i had a 50 and it was kinda useless...I wouldn't go with anything smaller then the 110. the 110 is only 25GPH more then the Emp400, so its really not much more powerful.

·
Registered
354 Posts
i have had them all, and they all work great on appropriately sized tanks.
and, yes, it is quite a bit more powerful then a useless emperor400. its actually 100gph more, not 25 (ac110 formerly the ac500 because its rated @ 500gph. made for use on tanks up to 110g, as opposed to the marienland filter one rated up to a 80g tank)
and thats only the gph rating. its also holds infinitely more bio media resulting in better filtration, and is built with a refiltration system, further adding to its already impressive filtration.

then, on top of everything else, because of its design, its easy to do custom plumbing for added customization and performance improvement.

·
Squish Mitten
3,268 Posts
^^^Sir you are incorrect. It's 425GPH and it says it on the box too. Both are great filters though IMO and you can definitely pack more into the AC thats for sure, but not a while lot. Afterall it is only a HOB.

·
Registered
354 Posts
no sir, you are absolutely incorrect. i have used these filters almost exclusively for 8+ years (as far as HOB filters are concerned anyway). id be sure to check your facts before making such a statement.
a quick google search would have easily answered your question. i may also have one in a box around here somewhere, but id have to look for it.
http://www.animalworldnetwork.com/aq5pofi110v.html
http://www.aquariumguys.com/aquaclear3.html
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...e=24-42612738-2
http://www.petsolutions.com/AquaClear-110-...5510620+C1.aspx

furthermore. because of the design of the emperor filter, you can not just fill it with media (and even if you could, it holds nowhere near as much as the ac110). filling the back chamber will do nothing more then making a heavy piece of junk, rather then a regular piece of junk that it is out of the box. because the aquaclear system pushes the water up through the bottom of the media, ALL media placed in the basket will come in contact with the water.
also, the ac110, holds just as much media as a canister rated for a similar sized tank. i did a write up with photojournal earlier. it might be posted on this site somewhere. i used an eheim 2227 and a ac110, and all the media fit, and ran. i believe its 4L of medis (not positive on the number. it was a while ago that i did the study)

·
Squish Mitten
3,268 Posts
I remember my old box saying 425GPH and reading about it in the manual. I always thought they were 500, but looks like the newer ones are 500GPH therefore making me incorrect. Oh well. I think its kinda dumb loading both the filters up with media anyways when I can jus get a canister filter or wet dry. I think both are equally great HOB's and do a great job, but I wanna get away from that scene.

·
Registered
354 Posts
they have ALWAYS been 500gph. it has nothing to do with "the new oness", as you so eloquently put it. the old model was called AC500 for a reason. therefore making you incorrect from the get go. this is why i suggested doing the research before making a ridiculous statement.

and as i have already stated twice, the AC system is made to load with media. its basically a hang on canister. (and as stated, holds as much media as a canister, but with added flow for better mechanical filtration as well). all the benefits of a canister, with the added benefit of a higher GPH rating, and lower price tag.

·
Registered
354 Posts
and an excerpt from the write up

on to a side by side comparison of a canister and a HOB. in regards to media volume and flow rate.
i didnt want to break down an fx5 just to pull out media, so i grabbed one of my eheim pro canisters i have lying around. so this will be the base of my comparison.

the canister is an eheim professional 2227 wet/dry canister. (rated for a 90g tank)
the HOB is the good ol aquaclear 110 (rated for 80-100g tanks)
the media in the canister is crushed coral.
the camera. my trusty blackberry storm i was posting from earlier. (i couldnt find the memory card for my camera, so this was my only other option. lol. please excuse the quality)

first, the bio media. the canister has 2 media trays which for our purposes are filled with crushed coral. this allows for maximum use of the media baskets on both the hob and the canister (also, it happens to be what was already in there). for the ease of returning the media to the canister, and for cleanliness, i lined the media basket in the ac110 with a plastic liner.

then opened the canister and pulled out the first basket of media to move it to the HOB. this is my first time actually testing this theory myself. up to this point it was just an educated guess. so im gonna go one at a time to see how much of the media exactly the HOB will hold. im sure it will be a lot considering.

first basket in. the hob is filled about half way. now for the second basket

well whattaya know... canister empty, hob filled. but does the lid fit back on?

indeed it does.

conclusion: the ac110 holds just as much media as a comparable canister rated for the same sized tank. looks like bio filtration is a tie.

how about mechanical filtration?
lets check the flowrate.

the eheim canister is rated at 227gph, while the ac110 is rated at 500gph. ultimately. higher flowrate = better mech filtration. but that could have been expected, as fluval is known for having great mech filtration.

conclusion: the ac110 has more then double the flowrate of the canister. mechanical filtration is a win for the HOB.

so. not only does the hob hold the same volume of media as a canister rated for the same sized tank, it provides better mechanical filtration. sorry buddy, your myth has been busted.

heres a little added bonus.

and now, one of the main deciding factors for most hobbyists. the price. while shopping around, you will probably find better deals on both, but for our comparison i went to theaquariumguys. common shop for online sales, and one that carries both.

eheim canister 312.99
aquaclear hob 89.99

now keep in mind, the canister has other goodies on it that will justify some of the price difference. it is afterall a much more involved piece of equipment, however, for our purposes, even with the advancements in the canister system, the price does not even come close to reflecting the price difference. while the eheim is on the far end of the spectrum, a comparable canister rated for a similar sized tank will still run you between $150 and $200, and will not provide any of the added benefits of the eheim canister, further proving my point.

well that was fun, eh? i hope you all learned something new. i know i did. and in the end, thats what its all about.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
I remember my old box saying 425GPH and reading about it in the manual. I always thought they were 500, but looks like the newer ones are 500GPH therefore making me incorrect. Oh well. I think its kinda dumb loading both the filters up with media anyways when I can jus get a canister filter or wet dry. I think both are equally great HOB's and do a great job, but I wanna get away from that scene.
old ones were called ac110 after the max tank size. Its 500gph, but the 425gph may be from the minimum gph since you can adjust it abit.
Exodon, thats alot of media in it, however it would suck to clean without a basket (with 4 sides). It would be cool however if ac did make a 4 sided basket so you could hold loose media like that so you can pull it out to clean without it falling everywhere. media bags are decent, but you can get more media without them. On my ac, i also threw a couple bags of bio media from smaller ac's into the section with the intake for extra media. it wont obther the impeller as long as its bagged.

·
Registered
178 Posts
have this in my 55 gallon, with the extension tube on it (75 gallon filter). makes a great current and does a great job filtering.

·
I got a great view here sitting on my "HIGH H
11,747 Posts
I agree i had a 50 and it was kinda useless...I wouldn't go with anything smaller then the 110. the 110 is only 25GPH more then the Emp400, so its really not much more powerful.
The 50's and below are good filters too but you're obviously not going to use those for medium to large sized piranhas either so I wouldn't say that they blow by any means.
I use them for smaller serra tanks sometimes and they're perfectly fine.

·
Registered
11,453 Posts
Aquaclear 110's/500....the only way to go!...IMHO, by far and away the best HOB filter money can buy!

·
Banned
35,116 Posts
I ACTUALLY JUST GOT ONE OF THESE

so far im impressed. this thing for being on the smaller side is really powerful. quiet as hell too. the sponge filter is extremely easy to remove, rinse and replace. I don't know what else to say other then if you're looking for a basic but useful filter...this is the one.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts