Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,231 Posts
Hello everyone.

Well, straight to it--over the past 2-3 weeks I've lost 3 red bellies, and I lost one more in the beginning. I started with 7 in my 75g, expecting to lose a few, and that's fine. I proably have a badass RBP, but I don't like risking the lives of my other piranhas, I understand that is their nature, though. I love my RBP's but I've been wanting to try a serra species.

If I do decide to get rid of them, I'll be giving them away on here so I know they go to a good home.

If I lose another one in the next few weeks I'm going to be switching from shoaling to a serra species most likely. If I don't lose any for the next few weeks I'll probably be adding a few caribe. Although, I've been eager to try out a serra species. Most likely an irritan (75 might be overdoing it, though), rhom, or elong. Will probably do it based of a fish personality at the store (active and interactive is what I look for).

Is there some ways to ease aggression? I've heard about black water extract, any experiences with that?

What are you guys opinions, stay with RBPs and maybe add a caribe or two or give serras a shot? Just to make sure, is there any relatively significant differences from taking care of serras from RBPs?

Thanks, appreciate it.

· Registered
104 Posts
thats sucks to hear man... personally im a red belly fan. Personally id stick with them. How big are they? ive got 5 5" RBPs in a 66gal and they do well together.... They are always grouped together on one of the sides... I just wish they grew quicker... doesnt seem like theyve grown that much in the 6 months ive had them... Looking back at pictures i can see the difference. Theyve gotten a lot thicker, and a lot taller. Im trying to keep them on a good diet, it should help... Ive only had them in this tank for 2 weeks now... i had a shoal of 4 before in a 44, i bought 1 more rbp almost the same size he is a little thicker and has bigger eyes, im thinking cause hes about 6-12 months older then my other fellows... Its hard to pick him out from the others...

· The Lord Himself is Life to me
3,861 Posts
With a 75 gal tank, and without the intention to upgrade, I would keep 4-5 pygos in there. So I guess you have 4 rbps left? So you really should only add one more pygo at most. So personally I would keep the shoal but switch the rbps for either an all caribe or tern shoal. IME, they are more agressive and less skittish than rbps( plus I like single specie shoals). Of course this depends on your funds.

Solitarys are nice but if you are going to only have one tank, I would stick with a shoal.

· Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I don't think adding caribe will help either now... was just something I wanted to try out.

I have 3 now, lost one in the beginning.

I've been thinking about getting a 55g over the summer to get a serra, so I'll stick with the shoal I think.

Thanks guys.

· Registered
940 Posts
hey huntx7 on the blackwater extract thing
it great my ps love it but its kinda expensive for me i have ridiculous filtration but when i added it they were more active
they LOVE it but i dont know if it will help aggresion
good luck
later

· Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
redbellyman21 said:
I would have to agree with phstrat. Find the problem first, isolate it, then add but 7 is way to many for 75!!!
[snapback]875570[/snapback]​
Yeah, I know. I got more piranhas than necessary expecting to lose a few.

Thanks for the info on the blackwater extract Power, might give it a shot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.