Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, i live on the westcoast of B.C.(british columbia, Canada). I was just wondering what teh possible problems are for putting driftwood in yor tank if it hasnt been boiled long enough?> and what maybe the problems of putting driftwood in and not boiling them at all, my driftwood is coming from off the beach and our ocean is extremely cold.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
DO NOT get driftwod from the beach!!
No matter how much you treat drifwood from the beach, you can never take the salt and substances from the water it came from.

Possibilities from untreated driftwood in an aquarium tank can stain your tank and leave a brownish tint for months!! Even driftwoods from your LFS still needs the basic treating considering other and different insects and bacteria still lingers within the wood. Also, boiling would help release trapped oxygen which would help submerge the item in your tank.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but some salt content to the water is healthy for fish, it produces more mucus protecting them from disease. and wouldnt the salt from the ocean act as a sterilizer? the salt kills most of the bacteria on the wood?

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Your right about that.. but seriously, do you think driftwood from the beach has ONLY salt content? Other bacteria and parasites can form from other things just from laying around at the beach in little time. Plus salt used to sterilize driftwood have far different contents than the ones we buy from LFS. You got the right idea, but remember.. we have freshwater fish. And mixture of salt and other additives from the ocean with waters in our aqua tanks can be bad for your Ps..

·
~ATLANTA BRAVES~
18,086 Posts
RhomZilla said:
Your right about that.. but seriously, do you think driftwood from the beach has ONLY salt content? Other bacteria and parasites can form from other things just from laying around at the beach in little time. Plus salt used to sterilize driftwood have far different contents than the ones we buy from LFS. You got the right idea, but remember.. we have freshwater fish. And mixture of salt and other additives from the ocean with waters in our aqua tanks can be bad for your Ps..
Very good point. Just think about it; is it worth the chance of killing all of your P?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts