Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 4 baby rbp , 3 of them are nearly 3 inches and the runt is about 2 inches he is sitting at the top of the water hiding behind some plants when i went over to check on him he swam away but was immediatly chased by the other 3 p's , he is hiding away behind the plant again now but im sure he will be eaten during the night
, i have no hospital tank as my rescued piranha is in it right now , the water is ok as done a normal 25% water change yesterday and the others are ok , wot should i do ? just leave him and hope he gets better ? i have fed them and are quite plump now exept the runt he hasnt eaten for 2 days now , getting real worried ...any idea's? thanks guys

· The ASSMAN
13,346 Posts
Really only 2 choices. Either let nature figure it out or divide the tank so the little guy can eat and catch up. Once the bigger ones reach 5" it probably wont be much of a problem, they are much more canabalistic when small.

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks grosse , while he is hiding behind the weed the others wont go behind it for some reason sadly i havent got a divider so im gonna let nature take its course , i did every thing to keep em well fed , kept water pristine with regular changes , just not sure why he is ill , i have looked him over and can see no signs of illness , this will be the first time i have lost a piranha and it makes me sad
, is it worth leaving the lights on during the night or will it make no diffrence ?

· The ASSMAN
13,346 Posts
Your choice, but getting a divider or making one is pretty easy. If you are letting nature take its course then why worry about the lights. If he is not eating, he will probably starve himself in that bush to a pretty weak state and then get eaten....pretty bad way to die when getting a divider and making sure he eats is a pretty easy thing to do.

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
update he has managed to eat A cockle before being chased again and is back to hiding
, how can i make a divider as i have never needed one before ? dont get me wrong i dont wont the little fella to die grosse i wanna save him and hope he makes it as i have nursed a sick piranha back to health before , i saw the others eating a piece of cod and he didnt even swim down to get any but put some cockles in and he gobbeled one down and swam off after being chased.

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i cant get a divider from my lfs as they are shut , if they were open i could have got one , i dont enjoy seeing him like this and only wanted some advice , sorry if it seems that i dont guys

· The ASSMAN
13,346 Posts
I guess it depends on your situation. If you have a car, go to a hardware store and pick up some florescent light grating (not sure of the actual name). It comes in a big sheet and they you just cut it to fit. If you dont have a car you will need to look for something to make one out of...there is always something around....just make sure water can flow through it. even a piece of tupperware with holes cut into it. stick the little dude in it until you can get a divider.

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
right e - o , will see wot i can find then grosse thanks , im sure a tupperware pot is lurking in a dark cupboard somewhere !

G

·
I had a similar problem a few years ago. I ended up cutting up the condensation tray/lid I had sat on top and made a divide out of that. There was then a risk of a jumping fish so I just shoved a large cardboard box on top. Anything you can find that is waterproof and won't effect water chemistry. Just remember to punch holes so that water can flow. My P is always more active with the light on. It may be better with it off, less likely to swim about and get him. thats just my P 'the good old unknown, probably Sanchezi!' yours maybe different.

Hope he pulls through.

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im willing to try anything mate , have found a largish tuperware tub its a bit old so i have scrubbed it out and put him in there till i can get a decent divider ...thank you for the help peeps , and i do care for my fish and wanna do the best for them like all the others i have kept over the years

G

·
You may not have much luck with the divide at the local fish shop unless the tank fits in with the more common sizes. Standard 4ft for example. I had to go and buy a sheet of perspex from B&Q to use as a condensation tray for my 75. You may have to do something similar.

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
brilliant idea mellor , off to cut up a condensation tray right now ....... thanks again mate

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.