Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i usually cut up my reds and terns feast in bite sized pieces for them, approx
2 inches cubed, depending on what it is..........

anyway, i have noticed that they will swim for the meal and miss it, while another is
in line to access the tasty morsal. if one gets it in his mouth and spits it up to eat it
better, another will swim by and realize there is food in the water for the taking and
scoop it up.

i havent seen a real "keen sence" on stalking their food, just maybe a sence of smell.
anyone read up on this?

·
Registered
523 Posts

anyway, i have noticed that they will swim for the meal and miss it, while another is
in line to access the tasty morsal. if one gets it in his mouth and spits it up to eat it
better, another will swim by and realize there is food in the water for the taking and
scoop it up.

i havent seen a real "keen sence" on stalking their food, just maybe a sence of smell.
anyone read up on this?
no but mine do the same. i was told that they like to play/scare their food before they eat it. this might be it not sure tho.

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
Why was this thread moved here, of all places? It has nothing at all to do with feeding & nutrition.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I have not read anything about it but i do think my MAC can see fairly well...if i drop shrimp in to his tank he wont do anything if his eyes arent on it.....as soon as he turns and see it BOOM hes all over it

is it all your Ps doing this or just one????

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
*Topic Moved to Feeding and Nutrition Forum*
taylor, i wish you didnt move this topic here, it really has nothing to do with food, nutrition
it was pertaining to eye sight..........note topic!!!!!

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
*Topic Moved to Feeding and Nutrition Forum*
taylor, i wish you didnt move this topic here, it really has nothing to do with food, nutrition
it was pertaining to eye sight..........note topic!!!!!
[/quote]
My apologies. I just skimmed the topic and noticed a lot of feeding. Now that I read it word for word, I agree that it doesn't belong here.

I'm not sure why your fish do this. I have never noticed it before with my piranhas.....
~Taylor~

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no worries taylor..........ive done that too.........

·
Registered
316 Posts
fish's eyes are on the side of their head. when facing some thing head on at a close range they cant see it. at all. so they need to track it from the side then turn in for the kill. if your eyes were on the side of your head you couldn't see things close to your face such as your nose. get it?

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fish's eyes are on the side of their head. when facing some thing head on at a close range they cant see it. at all. so they need to track it from the side then turn in for the kill. if your eyes were on the side of your head you couldn't see things close to your face such as your nose. get it?
i totaly understand that, but the food ir right in front and to the side, wheres FRANK
when you need him.......

·
Registered
750 Posts
ummm... pygos have binocular vision, bro. They posses very articulate eye movement control. I believe they have great visson of movement Meaning they can sense very well when something has moved, but they can not make out entire objects that well. I know for a fact I have seen my reds pick up on some VERY suttle movement within a pretty big radius of their tank.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
QUOTE(PhantastickFish @ Jan 7 2007, 09:26 PM)

ummm... pygos have binocular vision, bro. They posses very articulate eye movement control. I believe they have great visson of movement Meaning they can sense very well when something has moved, but they can not make out entire objects that well. I know for a fact I have seen my reds pick up on some VERY suttle movement within a pretty big radius of their tank.
this seems to be the case i think....b/c my MAC will do the same thing he sees me put my finger on the tank all the way on trhe other side

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Agreed ^^

Piranha have stereoscopic vision out in front of them where their vision overlaps; however, right in front of their face they are blind. Out from the stereoscopic vision they are seeing in monoscopic (e.g. close one of your eyes and you can see, but lose all depth perception). The way their eyes are set on their head creates this. As stated above, they can see movement much better than actual items.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Agreed ^^

Piranha have stereoscopic vision out in front of them where their vision overlaps; however, right in front of their face they are blind. Out from the stereoscopic vision they are seeing in monoscopic (e.g. close one of your eyes and you can see, but lose all depth perception). The way their eyes are set on their head creates this. As stated above, they can see movement much better than actual items.
that makes sense to me, i can swallow that little bit of info, ty Coldfire

·
Registered
8,643 Posts
i think they hae exelent eye sight. from what ive observed.

·
Innes is da Man!
5,907 Posts

scoop it up.

anyone read up on this?
sounds normal, mine did the same thing

·
Registered
750 Posts

scoop it up.

anyone read up on this?
sounds normal, mine did the same thing
[/quote]

With non-live foods like beef heart and fresh peeled shrimp, I see them actaully follow their noses to it, they can tell which side of them it's on and so on, just from smell. It's really interesting, I hadn't thought many other people would notice this. They circle around a large parameter and zero in on the food by smelling it from different sides.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
this is a good topic...it may just be your fish man....when im about to feed my fish, i sit on my futon (5ft away) from the front of the glass, i wave the shrimp back and fourth to get them to notice it....usually 3 p's will come right up to the glass, and then i toss it, soon as it splash's the water they're off to the races.....so maybe its your fish man...ill definatly keep an eye out for this tho

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
my fish eat very well, dont get me wrong, they live up to the rep, but i just
noticed how they eat.

i belive by smell

1 - 20 of 23 Posts