Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how big do they get and how much space requirement do they need? they clean teh bottom of the tank right?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
plecos clean the bottom of the tank and eat the algae off of the glass...you are right.

they grow rather slow, but they get very large if given enough tank space. like around 20inches long.

if you keep them in a smaller tank then they will only grow to a certain size becaus eu will stunt their growth (which is not good for them in the long run)

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Plecos or suckermouth catfish (or loricariid catfish) are any of hundreds of species of Neotropical (Central and South American) catfish that eat a variety of foods, most often vegetable stuff.

Large 'regular' plecos may eat less algae and more fish food (mine tend to do this). Young ones usually eat of the side of glass and driftwood and will scavenge some on the bottom.

Usually the best 'scavengers' to eat off the bottom are the busy little cory cats.

But scavengers need to be given food as well or they will starve or be malnourished. If you see them not getting food give them a couple sinking pellets.

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Oh yeah, like Jesse D said, the regular plecos can get big but DO NOT grow to the size of their tank (that is one of the most horrible aquarium myths). They eventually may need a 55 gallon or even 100 if you want an animal that can exceed a foot in length (some wild ones get around 2 feet! ). Stunted plecos are a disgusting thing to see.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is there ne scavenger that wont get too big that will help clean a tank that i can keep in a 55 gallon wit 3-4 piranhas

·
Registered
242 Posts
Make sure you have plenty of nice hiding spots ! Hopefully you will get a smart pleco who knows when to run ! I have had no luck with my last two. They were both victimized with a quickness...

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
I'm no expert on piranha compatibility but if plecos can make it you could do a bristlenose pleco. I've seen people use the cory cats before but don't know how wise their decision was. You have options but I'd address the piranha experts.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
but what i also need to know is if i there is a scavenger fish that wont grow as big as a pleco.. or is there is a breed of pleco that are smaller

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
Heartless-Dealer said:
but what i also need to know is if i there is a scavenger fish that wont grow as big as a pleco.. or is there is a breed of pleco that are smaller
otocinclus and chinese algae eaters are essentially mini-plecos, they only get 1-2" long. Not ideal for a tank with predatory/aggressive fish though, obviously

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
many pleco species do not get as large as a commen pleco, look in your LFS and ask what species all the plecos are and ask for the smaller varietys

as for piranha suitability - no fish can be guarenteed, but in some cases almost any fish can survive.

In my piranha tank I have chinese algea eaters, a ruby shark, and a black red tailed shark as my catfish.
but when I added a commen pleco it was eaten in a couple of hours

·
Registered
711 Posts
many pleco species do not get as large as a commen pleco, look in your LFS and ask what species all the plecos are and ask for the smaller varietys
but as always, take the LFS advise with a grain of salt... i bought a candy stripe pleco at petsmart and when i asked how big it got the guy said around 12"-18"... i was pretty sure that was wrong and he was just saying that because common plecos get that big, so i researched it when i got home and candy stripes (if thats even what it is
) only get ~4"

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
yeah, a good idea is to look in one of the books they sell at the LFS, or to take the species name and post here or do an internet search - but remember if you find anything, please post it for all to see

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Heartless-Dealer said:
is there ne scavenger that wont get too big that will help clean a tank that i can keep in a 55 gallon wit 3-4 piranhas
Most safe is getting a few Raphael Catfish: low-maintenance, secretive, predominantly nocturnal and non-agressive (so little chance they get into conflict with your reds), and very efficient clean-up fish, that can gobble up pretty large chunks of food.

You could also try cory catfish, like Acestro said, but their activeness is their greatest problem, and could easily attract a hungry and curious piranha's attention. They since cories lack the strong armor Pleco's and Raphaels have, so one bite is usually fatal.
It works out fine for me, but my reds don't seem to care about their tank mates one bit. But I've also heard many stories about failed attempts.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yea but im still wonderin wether i want to get a lone rhom or elongatus...so if i did that i wouldnt be able to put nethinhg in the tank..

if i get the caribe or reds tho, i will use all of ur advice
thanks alot

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
my advise would be to get a common pleco as they are really cheap and easy to get.
make sure its bigger than your p's and with pleco's mycommon has had growth spurts every now and then but is still only 11'' i have had it for over 2 years and bought it at 5'' so they grow pretty slow.
you could also trade it for a smaller one if it does get to big in your tank.
my pleco is a bad mofo and was at it again last night trying to suck my p's and only my piraya gives him crap back the reds just move out the way he's nuts but he knows he can get away with it and how far to push them.
dixon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts