Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to start off by saying, I dont know much about plecos. i have 3 of those walmart plecos and so far so good. I dont know the scientific names, etc.

But i was at the LFS looking for plecos and there were some blue ones, and exotic ones that went for $65.00+. does this sound right? I didnt know there were different kinds, etc. would you buy a $65.00-$100 pleco? It was only 3"-4".

I would hate for my oscar, arowana or piranhas make a meal of that, lol.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I have a clown pleco and a tiny bristlenose pleco in my piranha tank, and they were both pretty cheap (10 bucks and 1,50), so if they were devoured, too bad but no biggie. But for now, they're still alive and kicking

I have also seen some other, way more fancy pleco's (like gold nuggets) for about 30-50 bucks, and I would never ever throw such an expensive fish into my piranha tank: I just don't trust my toothy bastards with such expensive fish...

About the price of fancy pleco's: because most of them are pretty rare and wildcaught, those things usually are wickedly expensive. But the price depends mostly on availability: if an lfs happens to have contacts with a local breeder, or has great connections with fish importers, he could sell them for much less dough than at other places...
But 70 bucks seems a pretty steep pricetag for me, even for a Blue Panaque, especially if you want to risk it in a piranha tank!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.