Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so today i was kind of getting sick of all that deep penetrated algae in my walls i couldnt scrub off, and i didnt want to scrub hard cus its a plywood, and the paint etc... grabbed one from petland its about 10 - 12"...i know the chances im taking, but im already noticing some diff with him already in there for 10 hours....the fish are scared as hell...ill keep an eye on it tho forsure, if he starts gettin bitten big time ill take him out and sell him back to the store...beautiful pleco if you ask me, huge top fin, beauty

·
I Love Me Some Me
5,987 Posts
I have had a 7-8" pleco in with my 2 4" gold spilos for a few months now and there hasn't been a nip out of his fins yet. I'm sure once the golds are closer to his size something will happen, but as of right now the pleco has been nothing but helpful in that tank.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Yeah I have been keeping a pleco with my ps ever since I first got them. He is actually a little smaller than they are now but they dont bother him a bit. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
655 Posts
i keep 2 plecos with mine one big guy and one 5"''s and they never touch them if they get to close the plecos just raise they back fins seems to scare them off and those plecos have been in there the whole time they were with my old oscars to never picked at once

·
Registered
371 Posts
I agree about having a pleco in the tank (have one), but the only problem is that a pleco that big isn't going to do a good job of cleaning the algae that you're trying to remove. They don't clean worth a crap - pardon the pun - once they get big(ger). Get 2 5-6" pleco for cleaning duty.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree about having a pleco in the tank (have one), but the only problem is that a pleco that big isn't going to do a good job of cleaning the algae that you're trying to remove. They don't clean worth a crap - pardon the pun - once they get big(ger). Get 2 5-6" pleco for cleaning duty.
why do you think they dont clean as much when they get bigger??? remeber i got 2 reds 6" and over, and 4 caribe 6" and over...i dont really want something thats going to be quick quick lunchmeat....thats why i got this size...so he could handle his own for a while

·
Registered
371 Posts
why do you think they dont clean as much when they get bigger??? remeber i got 2 reds 6" and over, and 4 caribe 6" and over...i dont really want something thats going to be quick quick lunchmeat....thats why i got this size...so he could handle his own for a while
The pleco won't be at risk to get eaten (well, they're ALL moderate risks)... he's a good AESTHETIC addition and can defend himself... the only problem for you will be the work that you want to get out of him - As a large adult, it won't clean your glass the way I believe you are looking for it to. Only young plecos are serious algae eaters.

·
Innes is da Man!
5,907 Posts
ok so today i was kind of getting sick of all that deep penetrated algae in my walls i couldnt scrub off, and i didnt want to scrub hard cus its a plywood, and the paint etc... grabbed one from petland its about 10 - 12"...i know the chances im taking, but im already noticing some diff with him already in there for 10 hours....the fish are scared as hell...ill keep an eye on it tho forsure, if he starts gettin bitten big time ill take him out and sell him back to the store...beautiful pleco if you ask me, huge top fin, beauty
my pleco was huge when i got my babies, and then when they got bigger(6 of them) it was gone

·
Registered
523 Posts
i put a pleco in my tank that was the same size of my P 5" and after a day i did not se the pleco again. 1 month later i go to change up my tank and he was stuck under a tiny castle i had in there. those guys are great at hiding.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The pleco won't be at risk to get eaten (well, they're ALL moderate risks)... he's a good AESTHETIC addition and can defend himself... the only problem for you will be the work that you want to get out of him - As a large adult, it won't clean your glass the way I believe you are looking for it to. Only young plecos are serious algae eaters.
[/quote]

uhhh i dont know what your trying to get at.....i bet bigger cover more of a surface area then a smaller one....and this big one has been going to town since i dropped him in yesterday so

·
Is a Boss.
4,236 Posts
he referring to the fact that bigger plecos are usually lazy. i picked up 2 3" plecos yesterday and my tank is spotless now. my fake driftwood thing that was covered in algea is spotless. i usually keep my glass clean but with these guys i wont have to. i just hope they can keep under the radar.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
i have a 4" pleco and he is worthless, he hides in the corner on the tank behind
a powerhead. when small, they do an ok job cleaning glass, but they are great for
eatting left over food, not algea

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah my big one isnt lazy, hes always suckin on a wall, never seen him on the ground yet....he got 2 chomps from his top fin(i guess cus p's were curious, cus there hasnt been any real fish in there for like 2-3 weeks)...while i was cleaning my tank i saw both pieces of missing skin...maybe thats a sign they dont like it...lets hope so

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.