Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright i have a 2 inch clown pleco and an 1.5'' rubbernose and the rubbernose is skittish and the clown is noctural i assume becasue i haven't seen him in awhile except in small glances when he's out but he darts away when i see him. they are both in a 10g and brown algae has been accumulating on the decor, the driftwood, the rocks, and starting to form on the glass and heater. are these guys too lazy. would a small bristlenose get the job done? do you think they would all get along?

i need a few more hiding places because right now they both hide in the same cave but im just convicnced that more hiding places and rocks will just mean more places for that darn algae

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
The Rubbernose should be up to the job (it's huge sucker mouth with tiny teeth suggests it's a grazing type of pleco), but Clown Pleco's mainly feed on wood and vegetable matter, don't expect too much from him (the ones I had, as well as species from the same genus, never bothered to eat algae).

The problem in your case is that the two fish have different requirements: Clownslive in warm (78-82 degrees F), relatively slow-moving water in the Amazonian lowlands, but Rubbernoses live in very fast-flowing, very oxygen-rich highland creeks with much cooler water (72-78 degrees F).
So basically you're keeping two species from completely different habitats, and although pleco's are hardy and adaptive fish, the differences are pretty substantial, so I'm affraid in the end only one of them will truely feel at home there.

A Bristlenose would be a great replacement for the Rubbernose, as it has the same basic requirements as Clown Pleco's, and they are excellent algae eaters.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts