Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 4.5" pleco is hogging up the shrimp right now and not letting my 11 3.5" reds eat. the pleco attacks the red when they come too close. now all my reds are huddling in a group waiting for the pleco to finish

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha its cool. its only been day 2 since they have been in the tank. the pleco has been in there for months now and much bigger. so you have to take that into account. i think reds are not as bad as you think once in a group and if you raise them from a juvi so they would know you. plus you can fit a gang of them in there unlike cariba and terns and pirayas.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Normal behavior...my 10" Pleco chase my Caribas and is very aggressive defending his territory...he's just trying to fight back since my Caribas bit him many times!

·
Registered
176 Posts
LOL. Yo eric,
give them time and thell be acting like a 'gang' again. They love to shoal and are curious. they were never skittish. Probably a lil stressed still.
Are they eating yet?

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
unfortunatly not really. i threw in a big feeder and they just nipped the tail off. they did manage to nip off all the high fins on all the reds. i will try to feed them beef heart 2m. i've tried shrimp and gold fish.

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
that is pretty funny that the pleco is more aggresive but he wont stay that aggresive forever he will be put in his place.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
o snap its eric said:
i will try to feed them beef heart 2m. i've tried shrimp and gold fish.
I have some beefheart to give when you come by tomorrow. You can have some to see if they're non feeder eatting Ps. Just remind me to thaw it..

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
my pleco is one bad mofo and has had a few fights with my reds but only very minor damage to him .hes had a few barny's with my piraya but i dont hold much hope if he keeps that up.
he is almost 12 '' and thinks he runs the tank but always waits until the p's have finished eating before having a go himself he may be mad but he is not stupid.
i was going to sell him with my other reds a few weeks ago but couldn't as he is so entertaining he cleans practicaly nothing and just eats the scraps and when he wants to swim about just nudges the p's out the way and never moves round them
dixon

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Yeah I had a pleco that use to fight with mt red all the time... sometimes tehy would battle for 20 minutes non-stop and super entertain me :smile:
until one day the P got really pissed and gutted the poor pleco... guess the pleco trying to suctioncup onto the P wasnt as good as the razor sharp teeth

1 - 11 of 11 Posts