Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i will post a few pics for you frank i think it is a s marginatus but GG thought it may be a rhom.
basically whatever it is it does not matter as it is a beutifull piranha and it was cheap hahaha
thanks
dixon

·
Registered
696 Posts
Rhom, 100% sure you can cleary see it is serrasalmus and that there is a black band on the end of its anal fin. Cleary a rhom.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
There are actually 4 species involved here that appear similar ie; S. rhombeus, Spilo CF, S. sanchezi, and S. altispinis.

S. rhombeus and spiloCF are the closest when young except spiloCF keeps its red-breast throughout much of its life. Eye color other attributes are similar to S. rhombeus except morphometric counts which help differentiate it (number of serrae and rays). S. altispinis (not compared with spiloCF PERU or S. sanchezi PERU) is the most similar to S. rhombeus or those other Xingu Rhombs I keep reading about. What makes S. altispinis unique from S. rhombeus from the same region is the humeral blemish stays fixed and is larger. Red stays on its breasts just like spiloCF (also S. sanchezi).

Are you further confused now?

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
You got Rhom...
!

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
confused yes but who cares really i have got a really nice fish who will have its own 55g soon when the other rhom goes.
i will just post some pics again in a few months so we can check out again what it is but i am goiong for spilo cf or xingu rhom
thanks
dixon

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
ya that is a nice fish..im pretty sure its a rhom looks just like mine when it was smaller =) how much u get it for if u dont mind me askin

·
Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
18,670 Posts
u have a great attitude dixon
no matter what it is u love and thats all that matters good luck
and keep us podted in the upcoming months

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
I thought it looked like a cf, but then again, I could be wrong.

~Dj

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Death in # said:
thanks
i think its the right attitude to have i did not go out looking to buy the serras i bought i was buying neons and plants for my pygo tank but i just could not help myself.

mtx1 i paid 40 pounds for the rhom and the rhom or spilo.
dixon

·
Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
18,670 Posts
DiXoN said:
Death in # said:
thanks
i think its the right attitude to have i did not go out looking to buy the serras i bought i was buying neons and plants for my pygo tank but i just could not help myself.

mtx1 i paid 40 pounds for the rhom and the rhom or spilo.
dixon
dont u hate when that happens

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
DiXoN Posted on Aug 10 2003, 05:25 PM ...thanks
And this attitude makes you a true collector and hobbyists in the purest sense. You have no idea how much this makes me smile.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts