Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok , so im new to keeping p's but i have a red belly with what looks like fungus on his lip so i purchase some melafix because i figure it should treat it....but my questions is, i just started to cycle my tank with bio spira yesterday and i dont know if its ok to treat my p with melafix before the tank has been completly cycled?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i didnt know anything about a cycle tank till i had the fish this is all new to me, so i bought bio spira to speed it up, i dont have any other tanks to keep my p's in until its cycled thats y there in there.....should i put the fish that has the mouth fungis in a large bucket and treat him? or should i jus wait till the tank is cycle to treat him

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
it should be ok...you can treat it with melafix and some aquarium salt...make sure do some good water change.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it should be ok...you can treat it with melafix and some aquarium salt...make sure do some good water change.
when should i start water changes and how much water.....i dont wanna mess with the cycle....i just started my water is

ph 6.8
ammonium 1.0
nitate 0
nitrite 0
and 80 degrees

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,000 Posts
You can add a little predissolved salt to the tank to help the fish get through the nitrite spike. You can add a conditioner that detoxifies ammonia. You can use melafix/salt with bio spira. I would just let nature takes its course after taking the mentioned precautions. If you only have one red belly feed very sparingly. Monitor your pH, if you notice a drop perform a 25% water change with a conditioner that treats chlorine and chloramines if your water is "city water"

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can add a little predissolved salt to the tank to help the fish get through the nitrite spike. You can add a conditioner that detoxifies ammonia. You can use melafix/salt with bio spira. I would just let nature takes its course after taking the mentioned precautions. If you only have one red belly feed very sparingly. Monitor your pH, if you notice a drop perform a 25% water change with a conditioner that treats chlorine and chloramines if your water is "city water"
thanks for the reply, i used the tetra water conditioner when i first add the water..thanx for the help

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive been treatin my p with melafix and i havent seen a difference in his face,,,its been 4 days now, and it seems as if there not eating nearly as much as they did b4.....is this common when treating with melafix?

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,000 Posts
Any chance you can post aic of his face. I hate to tell you to treat for something and it turns out to be something else. There are too many things that could be going on. It could be an injury that got infected, it could be fungal, it could be bacterial, Could be mouth rot, could be columnaris... Need a pic to really help you out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts