Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went and looked at it today....it looks tan to me...am I looking at the wrong sand? Thought it was white? And is the stuff ok for rays? I hear Estes is the best, but I'll be goddamned if I pay $1/lb when I'm filling a 180 gallon...

· Registered
480 Posts
I've been using Quikrete play sand and the color varies from bag to bag; some I've had pretty light, almost white and the stuff I added to my 180 last night is more tan. I believe its ray safe, theres no sharp edges and the grains are pretty fine, so it shouldnt irritate them.

I've never used it, but pool filter sand is supposedly white.

· Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I really want black sand but can't get it here for less than $1/lb. So I will be doing pool filter sand I guess. I get a little bit of a discount on it and it isn't that expensive anyway...

· Registered
5,349 Posts
i got southdown from homedepot. its a light tan color. 50lbs for $4

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Lyle if you are looking to go black for a little cheaper than $1/lb you might want to look for some black 3M colorquartz.

I had play sand from Home Depot and it looked kind of cruddy because some of the pieces in there were much darker than others, which made it all look dirty.

· Registered
5,089 Posts
i have pool filter sand and it isnt white. Mine is tan like play sand. Im sure some is white, but no, not all pool filter sand will be.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.