Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it okay to have plastic plants in a tank with a Gold Spilo? I heard they are so aggressive that they will attack anything that moves. I don't want my Spilo to die. I've waited for him for 4 1/2 months.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
I don't feel safe with plastic. P's will take bites out of them. And plastic doesn't digest.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Raptor said:
I don't feel safe with plastic. P's will take bites out of them. And plastic doesn't digest.
i agree!

mine took bites out of a plastic tree all the time, sticking to live after i kill all the snails in my tank

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I have plastic plants, and my fish do bite them, and I find bits floating on the top - but not all fake plants are plastic

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I don't think fish in general, and piranha's in particular, will die from occasional plastic plant nips...
At least, I haven't heard stories about it (there was one story about someone's piranha that died, and had its stomach filled with pieces of plastic, but the owner highly doubted that was the reason why it died!)

But I agree with the others that I don't trust my p's with plastic plants (just the idea of them swallowing plastic plants freaks me out, hehe).
Besides that, most plastic plants are ugly and look fake, and live plants are part of a healthy tank environment as well (absorbtion of chemicals and metals, They convert CO2 into oxygen....)

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
there are also cloth like plants...thats what i have in my tank..

·
Registered
99 Posts
i found that if you do use plastic plants stick to the prickley ones my piranhas seem to leave those kinda alone and only bite the leafy ones. just somthin to think about .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts