• yes - we should get more info on aquatic plants

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no - I don't want info on aquatic plants

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I think we should create a guide to aquatic plants so people know how to look after them, and also recognise which one is which.
because lets face it - who can tell their "Egeria densa" from their "Cryptocoryne wendtii"?

This section should include things like taking cuttings and water conditions.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
It would be cool to have a list of plants from each region where piranhas are from

like plants found in Rio Orinoco, Rio Sao Francisco, etc, etc

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Both mentioned above is great!! It was just a couple months ago when I only knew about Sword Plants weren't the only popular plant with Ps.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I have some plant 'fact' sheets on my website: see here. The info is rather basic, and the pics are not really World Press quality, but you'll get the idea.....

Maybe we can use these as a starting point for pfury fact sheets.

Oh, and I like the idea: perhaps it will stimulate more people to give live plants a try.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Who would like to work on gathering this info? If someone gathers the info, I can put them in a page.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
i like plants! Plants rock
I have around 12 differnt types of aquatic plants in my tanks. This is a good idea. Maybe we could make a picture forum for different kinds of plants and a user rating which states if they are good for piranha tanks or if they are hard to take care of and die easily. (sort of like hot or not)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Hey Xenon, I don't have a job right now, so I could start some research on aquatic plants. I'd love to pitch in.

pm me or get my email in my profile if you'd like me to help out.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Feel free bud. Get with Judazzz and Innes and figure out all the info we need for the factsheets. Gather pictures and the info and I will put them in a page. Of course, remember to cite all your sources and I will credit you on the page for helping get the info. PM me with questions.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Yeah I will help, but I am kind of busy at the moment with all of the other things I am helping with

anyone who wants can PM me for ideas, help or to offer help - that includes you thomisdead

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
ok, I'm working on this. I could use input from anyone who has live plants. If anyone has some please let me know about your experiences w/ them.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
what do you have to do to maintain plants??? do you have to put them in dirt or what???? can you just bury them in rocks???? how long do they stay alive?? i have seen some really nice aquariums with some awesome plants in them, and i just want to get rid of my fake sh*t

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
that's the kind of info i'm looking for phensway. but I'm having a hard time finding growing tips. that's why I need feedback on everyones experiences with live plants.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
ok, i think it would be a great idea to have a forum for plants and how to maintain them....... you guys seem to impress me more and more everyday!!!

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I my experience with plants the red ones get eaten straight away or die so I never get them anymore
I also find that sometimes it works and they grow, and sometimes they die or get eaten.
I just buy more when I need to, but sometimes they grow for ages even if they are not planted (as my severum pulls them up)
some plants are great for breeding - kabomba is good cover for fry.
Also if your fish like to eat plants get ones with thich leaves which are strong and tough.

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
A lot of people like plants

·
Registered
564 Posts
Swords work the best for me. My p's like potted plants. They tear anything out that isn't either potted or has strong roots.

Let's do it! A plant forum and a plant fact sheet.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Not plant forum, you can post that in non-piranha discussion, plant factsheets are being worked on....phew...you guys keep me busy!

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Xenon said:
Not plant forum, you can post that in non-piranha discussion, plant factsheets are being worked on....phew...you guys keep me busy!
you busy????
I'm the one writing the plant factsheets!!!!

They are underway

if anyone has any good plant info please send it to me or catch me on AIM

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Innes you stole my poll, I was debating posting this a while back, O well you beat me to it... i think this section could benifit us all... i could get some info for you all too that would also help out :
:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts