Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all just a quick question ive always had plastic plants in my tank i relay fancy changing to live plants but my tank is a corner of my lounge with a free standing light behind not directly on the tank itself could someone please give me some info on the plants that dont need as much light as some i have read about many thanx.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
yeah they need light man..at least 1 watt per gal to grow low light plants. Im not sure that the free standing light behind the tank will put out the necessary wattage or the proper type of light needed for plant growth.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
my java moss and water sprite grew with minimum light...
If you feel that free standing light is good enough than by all means shoot for some java and water sprite...also maybe even some crypts. Theres a mess of low light plants listed in the pinned material under aquatic plants forum.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice one lads have taken on board what u have said im going to get a light for the tank itself maybe the best option.

·
DYNOMITE!
6,671 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers dippy that has helped a great deal i think im going with some java moss and c what happens cheers again

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
If you would like to make use of a free standing light the first thing you must consider doing is geting the correct spectrum bulb that is going to benifit the plants the most. Regular incandecents are out of the question.
The fixture is going to have to be able to be directed at the tank of course. But you can get for standard socket type fixtures screwin power compacts that will privide a decent amount of light for cheap.
you would want to take a look at some GE bulbs that come in 6200K and in sizes up to 23w. Or Lights of america also make a 23W 6500K bulb as well as a 44 watt. That would add a very decent amount of light towards your plants.

you can get the LoA lights at fred meyers or online possibly. or you can pick up the GE's at walmarts.

Wait I just read that you're in England. So I don't know if you have either of those stores there. however youcan most likley find something suitable at a hydroponics store.

But an actual PC fixture would bea much better soloution.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts