Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
i got some new amazon swords about a week ago and eversince they been doing worst and worse i have have had lights on all day long till prob about 10 hours-12 hours a day.. and ill post some pics is this a disease? or no nurtients or wut i'm new about plants so fill me in

·
RollingStone
3,771 Posts
dam iono but when the plants die and they wonder around the tank and stufff dam it makes your tank dirty sh*t!
like it made mines i have no plants in my tank now

·
Registered
125 Posts
i have two 17 watt stock 55 gal hood lights.. they did have tinfoil under them i removed them just now and will see if it makes a different but from the pics.. does it look like there dieing? or a disease? is this normal? they became more shively and i dont know if thats a prob .. thx

·
Registered
502 Posts
Ok, here we go. I have a 75 gallon tank with four amazon swords. I originally had a 260 watt light system on it. I had to turn off half of the lights because they were growing way too much algea. So now I have 130 watts on 75 gallons. That is about 1.75 watts per gallon. I have my lights on for ten hours a day. If you just got your plants in there, it takes a few weeks for them to adjust. Also, the plants you have look like the kind that are grown underwater but permitted to have the leaves protrude out of the water. That is the same as mine were. This means that they will shed their broad leaves for thinner, longer ones. This again takes a few weeks. For the leaves that are rotting and have holes or are turning brown, not yellow, gently pull them from the crown of the plant in a downward pulling manner. The ones that are browning are just taking up extra nutrients. My plants reproduced and I now have 7 plants. Also, the new leaflets that grow are usually yellow or even clear. Just let them be and they will grow fine. Also, if using liquid fertilizer, go easy on it and just do regular water changes. You may want to go to Home Depot or something and get some gro lights or higher wattage lights if possible. Good Luck!

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
the growth of your plants depends on more than the number of hours you have your light on for, it also depends on the type of light, and the water conditions in the tank.

if your pH is 6.0 and the plant requires 7.0 then that could be the reason.

heres a handy link
heres another handy link

Oh, and can I use these pics for the PFury factsheets?
heres another handy link

1 - 11 of 11 Posts