·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright i'm working on a tank here
Gonna have RB's in it
this is how he looks like now
Water Rectangle Television Plant Television set

i'm gonna have black medium sized gravel in it btw everything is brand new in so its a tank from scratch.

So what should i do i wanna have it medium planted what do you suggest i should and what should i not do???

I dont know anything about plants or planting a tank.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Theres a lot of Pinned material in the aquatic plants forum...you should read up on that.

Just keep in mind that you need to concentrate on these three areas to get and keep plants alive and growing:
- substrate
- Lighting
- Ferts

You should substitute that black gravel for a substrate that has some nutrient value to the plants. There are several that would work ex. Fluorite, Shultz Aquatic Soil, etc....

For lights it all depends upon the type of plants you are shooting for. Low light plants vs. medium to bright
Look up some plants that you might want for your tank and then we can figure out the proper wattage of lights.

Im sure somebody else will jump in with so more advice.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Theres a lot of Pinned material in the aquatic plants forum...you should read up on that.

Just keep in mind that you need to concentrate on these three areas to get and keep plants alive and growing:
- substrate
- Lighting
- Ferts

You should substitute that black gravel for a substrate that has some nutrient value to the plants. There are several that would work ex. Fluorite, Shultz Aquatic Soil, etc....

For lights it all depends upon the type of plants you are shooting for. Low light plants vs. medium to bright
Look up some plants that you might want for your tank and then we can figure out the proper wattage of lights.

Im sure somebody else will jump in with so more advice.
Yeahh i have been reading the sticked topics

well i'm not gonna change anything in the tank for the plants i was wondering what i can keep with this setup
i got 1 36w 1200mm light (the store said it was good for plants). And i'm gonna stick with the black gravel cant i just add some stuff in the gravel some plant dirt you can buy at the pet store ????

Ferts you mean as in fertilisers what should i use there if thats what you mean??

Thanks

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
How many gallons is 517L....because to properly maintain even the lowest light plants you need to have around 1 watt/gal. I dont think a single normal output 36 watt light is gonna do the job if that tank is any larger than a 30 gal.

By ferts i mean additives to the tank to maintain the balance needed by the plants. There are a number of them that you may or may not need. I would honestly worry about your substrate and lighting first.

Im sure someone will be along with the generic list of low light easy to keep plants. For the life of me i cant remember all of them except for some varities of crypts.

·
DYNOMITE!
6,671 Posts
How many gallons is it? If you have 36w of light, and a 75-90 gal tank, Stick with Anubias, Cryptocorynes, and moss. Maybe java ferns, and Bolbitis.
That is about all that might work. Dose micro ferts, and keep nitrates @ 10-25ppm, and phosphate @ .5-2ppm.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How many gallons is 517L....because to properly maintain even the lowest light plants you need to have around 1 watt/gal. I dont think a single normal output 36 watt light is gonna do the job if that tank is any larger than a 30 gal.

By ferts i mean additives to the tank to maintain the balance needed by the plants. There are a number of them that you may or may not need. I would honestly worry about your substrate and lighting first.

Im sure someone will be along with the generic list of low light easy to keep plants. For the life of me i cant remember all of them except for some varities of crypts.
ok light bulb is know as Repti glo 2.0.
its the on that is 40w and 120cm long on the list

and my tank is 145G

i cant relly have that much more lighting cuz the RB dont like it...

But do you think i cant go along with the black gravel ???

·
DYNOMITE!
6,671 Posts
I have 3wpg, or 220 watts of light over my 75g, and my compressus doesn't mind at all.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
ok light bulb is know as Repti glo 2.0.
its the on that is 40w and 120cm long on the list

and my tank is 145G

i cant relly have that much more lighting cuz the RB dont like it...

But do you think i cant go along with the black gravel ???
ok....40 watts over a 145gal is entirely insufficient. You need at the very minimum one watt per gal to be able to grow anything. I think if you planted this tank with the lights you have your plants would look good for about 2 weeks and then start to die.
With regard to the RB's not liking the lights, they will make do. We're not talking about putting 4 watts per gallon over your tank(which is BRIGHT)...we're only talking about putting 1 to 1.5 maybe and this is not that big of a deal. Besides, if you supply the plants and some decor, they will have spaces to hide thus reducing the lighting for them.

With regard to the black gravel, you can go ahead and try it and see what happens. IMO and in the opinions of many other members who plant on this site, a substrate with some nutrient value is best for planting. You can pick up substrate that will give you the black look you're going for and still provide some basic nutrient value to your plants.

Im only saying all of this because it sucks to go and buy all the plants you want and then after 2 weeks of being in your tank they all look like death.

·
Registered
45 Posts
ok....40 watts over a 145gal is entirely insufficient. You need at the very minimum one watt per gal to be able to grow anything. I think if you planted this tank with the lights you have your plants would look good for about 2 weeks and then start to die.
With regard to the RB's not liking the lights, they will make do. We're not talking about putting 4 watts per gallon over your tank(which is BRIGHT)...we're only talking about putting 1 to 1.5 maybe and this is not that big of a deal. Besides, if you supply the plants and some decor, they will have spaces to hide thus reducing the lighting for them.

With regard to the black gravel, you can go ahead and try it and see what happens. IMO and in the opinions of many other members who plant on this site, a substrate with some nutrient value is best for planting. You can pick up substrate that will give you the black look you're going for and still provide some basic nutrient value to your plants.

Im only saying all of this because it sucks to go and buy all the plants you want and then after 2 weeks of being in your tank they all look like death.
ok then
i'll get more lightbulbs but what types and how many if say 1 wat for 1 us gallon
or are we talking regular gallons. are we talking then 3-4 light bulbs sh*t thats alot any special ones i should get.

And about the gravel ( or i think its gravel) its like black sand bought from the local Sand distrupitor its black small stones from nature. i dont relly feel like buying anything else exept from them becuz other wise it will cost a fortune 10kg of sand from the pet store costs about 60$ and i bought 80kg from the sand supplyer for
11$. cant i do anything to grow plants out of it ???

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
k im no where near an expert in the plants department but u can use whatever substrate you want black sand, rainbow gravel... but if you choose one that is more benifical to your plants thats all the better. you will still need to use ferts with any substrate. you will have to test your water regualary make sure theres a good nitrates and phosphate levels. i also check for iron.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
k im no where near an expert in the plants department but u can use whatever substrate you want black sand, rainbow gravel... but if you choose one that is more benifical to your plants thats all the better. you will still need to use ferts with any substrate. you will have to test your water regualary make sure theres a good nitrates and phosphate levels. i also check for iron.
Well put....the better the substrate the better the plant growth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts