Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm highly pissed that the Dallas News has made no effort to publish the rebuttal to the confiscated fish portrayed as a piranha by the Texas Fish & Wildlife. Their people there have made the piranha sound like it would wipe out all animal life on earth.

Below is the writer to the story who says he fully researched the information.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...a.27beac46.html

This writer name is Steve Stoler:
[email protected]

The rebuttal by David M. Schleser is here:

http://opefe.com/david_schleser_plano.html

I think PFURY members should let this guy know that hobbyists are not stupid.

·
Don't f*ck with the fairy.
5,147 Posts
hmmm it says though "A piranha like this was confiscated in Plano. " under the picture. so are they just using a pacu by accident as a representation of the confiscated fish, not realizing it - or has someone actually seen the fish in question?

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
In the video, the large group of pacus is seen. The single shot seen is one of the members of that group. The Dallas F&W cannot distinguish the fish from actual piranhas. I have no idea what photos they are using to make their case. There is more to the story in that Schleser told me that the fish came through the airport "as piranhas" and should have been stopped there, but were not. The pet store dealer ordered the wrong the fish as he could not tell the young pacu from the piranhas....just a comedy of errors leading up to the misidentification by the 'experts'. The Plano educator is even worse by his remarks on "piranhas" wiping out species.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
these people have "no life"

they concider thereselves professionals!!!

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
The message that I sent him:

Hello Steve,

I am writing in regards to the 'piranhas' that were confiscated from a Plano, Texas pet store. I have been a piranha enthusiast for many years now, and I do know many of the species of piranhas, and I have owned a few different species myself. The fish that you are calling red bellied piranhas (Pygocentrus nattereri), are none other than red-bellied pacu, an herbivorous cousin of the piranha. Pacus are not aggressive, and they feed on plant life in the wild.

Now, even if these specimens were piranhas, there is no reason to fear them and spread the fear amongst the community. If a red bellied piranha was released into Texan waters, I'm betting it wouldn't last more than a week before it died of shock or got eaten by another predator or much larger fish. Needless to say, they certainly wouldn't have much chance of breeding and increasing the population. I've noticed in your article you make them out to be viscious fish as portrayed in Hollywood movies. This is not true.

I, and other piranha hobbyists, would appreciate it if you could put together a retraction article, for if you investigate further, you too will realize that these fish are harmless pacu.

Thanks for your time, and I hope to hear from you.
Taylor H.
Mid-Michigan

·
Registered
415 Posts
TAYLOR THIS IS WHY YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

Good job man I culdnt have put it together myself any better

·
Registered
494 Posts
lol they posted a pic of a pacu in the paper calling it a piranha. whats silly is the ignorence of the people trying to create these laws that dont have a clue about what there talking about

edut: after rereading that article again it honestly made no sense of what they are talking about a 7lb piranha id like to see that. secondly quote from article "I would like to think that there was a small amount of ignorance involved, because surely a human being would not knowingly sell a piranha," Dunlap said. u think the head of the plano information center would know a thing or two about fish. before he gave that quote to the paper

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts

Hello Steve,

I am writing in regards to the 'piranhas' that were confiscated from a Plano, Texas pet store. I have been a piranha enthusiast for many years now, and I do know many of the species of piranhas, and I have owned a few different species myself. The fish that you are calling red bellied piranhas (Pygocentrus nattereri), are none other than red-bellied pacu, an herbivorous cousin of the piranha. Pacus are not aggressive, and they feed on plant life in the wild.

Now, even if these specimens were piranhas, there is no reason to fear them and spread the fear amongst the community. If a red bellied piranha was released into Texan waters, I'm betting it wouldn't last more than a week before it died of shock or got eaten by another predator or much larger fish. Needless to say, they certainly wouldn't have much chance of breeding and increasing the population. I've noticed in your article you make them out to be viscious fish as portrayed in Hollywood movies. This is not true.

I, and other piranha hobbyists, would appreciate it if you could put together a retraction article, for if you investigate further, you too will realize that these fish are harmless pacu.

Taylor H.
Mid-Michigan
I just received his reply today. This is what he had to say:

Hi Taylor!

Thank you very much for writing us!

Just so you know....several experts contacted us to say the fish in our video were Pacu, not Piranha.

It's very interesting because according to the game wardens, the store's invoice said "Pirahnas" The sign on the tank where they were being sold said "piranhas". And the book used by the store owners to order fish also said "Pirahnas". It's quite a mystery.

All the best,

Steve Stoler, Senior Reporter
WFAA

It looks like some P-Fury members may have opened his eyes! Good job Frank, and all of the other piranha experts that may have contacted him.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
taylorhedrich Posted Today, 01:32 PM
QUOTE(taylorhedrich @ Dec 30 2006, 07:51 PM)

Hello Steve,

Taylor H.
Mid-Michigan

I just received his reply today. This is what he had to say:

Hi Taylor!

Thank you very much for writing us!

Just so you know....several experts contacted us to say the fish in our video were Pacu, not Piranha.

It's very interesting because according to the game wardens, the store's invoice said "Pirahnas" The sign on the tank where they were being sold said "piranhas". And the book used by the store owners to order fish also said "Pirahnas". It's quite a mystery.

All the best,

Steve Stoler, Senior Reporter
WFAA

It looks like some P-Fury members may have opened his eyes! Good job Frank, and all of the other piranha experts that may have contacted him.
Its no mystery to anyone that has dealed with dealers that sell red-herring for piranha. Still, I'd like to see a retraction and correction. Don't see so far where that is going to happen.

·
Registered
8,643 Posts
seems like hes just saying:
i read they were piranhas on 3 different sheets of paper so it must be so. or seing how i read it 3 times im not to blame for making a mistake and i should not have to correct myself.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BlackSunshine Posted Today, 03:01 AM
I was not so kind in my message to him.
Post it up.

Anyway, its the problem with irresponsible reporting that prohibit piranha......just as it is irresponsible for that dealer regardless of ability to "read English" or another language to order fish, not check into local law and then compound the issue by advertising it falsely. Ultimately, we hobbyists are to blame for releasing unwanted fish so more laws are made to prohibit piranha......all because a reporter doesn't feel responsible to retract or correct a story that is obviously blatantly WRONG.

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
BlackSunshine Posted Today, 03:01 AM
I was not so kind in my message to him.
Post it up.

Anyway, its the problem with irresponsible reporting that prohibit piranha......just as it is irresponsible for that dealer regardless of ability to "read English" or another language to order fish, not check into local law and then compound the issue by advertising it falsely. Ultimately, we hobbyists are to blame for releasing unwanted fish so more laws are made to prohibit piranha......all because a reporter doesn't feel responsible to retract or correct a story that is obviously blatantly WRONG.
I would but I didn't save the outgoing message. I basically said its his responsiblity as a reporter to report the truth and not hyped up fear mongering BS.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts