Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope to buy myself a new tank for my Caribe who is 7 inches on the dot. he is currently in a 55 which is isn't really mine but i have it for some odd reason. Anyway I am thinking of buying myself a 40-55 Gallon for my Caribe who will be kept single for life or maybe if I find another Caribe that size in the future maybe to add it. I'm not 100% sure on what tank gallons each Caribe needs for a life time so if anyone knows please post.
This guy was up for sale for a while and Iv decided to keep him and see how massive I can grow the big guy. Plus He has too great of coloration to give up. I own another Caribe that is in my Reds tank. All of which are 6 inches or close to it and also has good color.

If anyone knows how big to Caribes usually get given good water water/perms and fed on a daily or every other day basis. Also room to swim.

I own another Caribe that is in my Reds tank. All of which are 6 inches or close to it.

Anyway, If I decide to get the tank I'm not going to use normal fish gravel. I would really like to try plants so is sand a good idea or hang on/stick on filters? (Elite hush and a fluval) Or should is tick to a special type of plant gravel?

Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Caribe can get pretty big.. 15 inches according to opefe...I don't think a 55 is the best choice for life because it isn't that wide...12" if I am not mistaken which won't give your adult caribe much room to turn around...For a solitary caribe I would go with a 75 gallon tank for life.Don't get me wrong you may be ok to house one for life in a 55 but I would want a little more room....Another option would be to possibly thin out your reds and add the caribe to the 120 gal tank in the future.

·
Registered
750 Posts
As far as I know, 14" for a caribe is considered out of the ordinary, I would say 10-12" is a decent expectancy. A 40 Breeder would house him comfortably for quite some time. The foot print of it is 36" by 18". 3 caribas can be kept in a 75 gallon for life and a 75 is only a foot longer (1.5 square feet more ground room.) I would say that without a doubt (in my mind atleast) you could house him for life in a 40 breeder.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as I know, 14" for a caribe is considered out of the ordinary, I would say 10-12" is a decent expectancy. A 40 Breeder would house him comfortably for quite some time. The foot print of it is 36" by 18". 3 caribas can be kept in a 75 gallon for life and a 75 is only a foot longer (1.5 square feet more ground room.) I would say that without a doubt (in my mind atleast) you could house him for life in a 40 breeder.
Oh alrighty cool :laugh:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts