Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been doing a lot of ice fishing lately and everytime i go i catch a lot of little perch or walleyes. They are like 5-6" long for the smallest ones. Will the spilo (5" long) kill them or do you think it will leave them alone, does anyone have any experience with putting game fish with a piranha, cause i really dont want to keep those little guys if they are just gonna be food and get ripped apart. Or if they might have diseases that might kill the P.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Yeah, no matter what will happen something will die, I dont know much about walleye or perch but all wild fish possibly carry diseases, and if not the fish will definitely fight, probably your spilo will win, but then it will die because the other fish had diseases. My suggestion DONT DO IT.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Apart from the things mentioned already, think of this:

You catch those walleyes in ice-covered lakes. Piranha's live in tropical rivers/lakes etc. - now reread that sentence a few times and then ask yourself how much sense it would make to dump those fish in the same tank: doesn't really seem to add up, does it?

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Judazzz said:

You catch those walleyes in ice-covered lakes. Piranha's live in tropical rivers/lakes etc. - now reread that sentence a few times and then ask yourself how much sense it would make to dump those fish in the same tank: doesn't really seem to add up, does it?

[snapback]912570[/snapback]​
good point. Walleyes and perch arent well suited to living in 75-80 degree water, but it can be done. The problem occurs when you mention piranha. Something will die, whether it be from temperature or murder.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
and don't forget the risk of introducing new parasites and diseases to your tank...quarantine the fish first before puting it in w/ the spilo...but therez always a risk...

·
Go Habs Go
2,912 Posts
mori0174 said:
Judazzz said:

[snapback]912570[/snapback]​
good point. Walleyes and perch arent well suited to living in 75-80 degree water, but it can be done. The problem occurs when you mention piranha. Something will die, whether it be from temperature or murder.
[snapback]912575[/snapback]​
Very good point! Walleye live in water temps about 55-60 degrees. You catch them in the winter ice-fishing in about 8-10 feet of water because it's VERY cold, but if you were to catch a Walleye in midsummer, you'll find them at the bottom of the lake in atleast 30 feet of water. Your walleye will either eat your P (I've caught small walleye like the one you mention on a 5" Shad-Rap, imagine what it could do to your P) or will kill your P with disease, like many have mentioned.
I wouldn't do it if I were you. I don't even feed my P the left over minow's, just for fear of disease.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know there is a temp difference. I know enough not just to throw it in, i know i would have to warm the water slowly, i know it would work too cause i had a blue gill at one time.

·
Go Habs Go
2,912 Posts
six_t8_bowtie said:
I know there is a temp difference. I know enough not just to throw it in, i know i would have to warm the water slowly, i know it would work too cause i had a blue gill at one time.
[snapback]913127[/snapback]​
Not just the temp change, you'd also need one hell of a tank to fit Walleye & Perch in there...once again, I would't put them in with the p's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts