Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody

Right now I have 3-6" Piraya's in a 75 gal. Im plan on getting more in the future and putting them in my 180 gal. So what Im asking is how many can I put in a 75 gal and for how long? Also would 7 Piraya in a 180 gal. too much?

Thanks in advance

Bri

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
I would strongly consider only keeping 6 for life in the 180 gallon tank. They will reach tremendous sizes in time and as a result, they will need a lot of room.
~Taylor~

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
I agree with Taylor. Piraya get much larger than Reds or Cariba, so they need much more room to grow and handle territory issues. 30g per fish is a good rule of thumb when dealing with Piraya.

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
as for former piraya owner and all pygo owner piraya seem to grow slower then other pygo, but can grown much bigger then other pygo..piraya are the only pygo the required very large tank, the bigger and better.

·
Caribe > Any Other Piranha
6,351 Posts
^^ the only pygo that require a large tank?.......outh are u on crack agian.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
^^ the only pygo that require a large tank?.......outh are u on crack agian.
lol crack.... i think what he ment to say waz HUGE tank. all the other pygos just need a big tank pirya require a huge tank.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'll go with 8 x 6inch in the 180G for now and sell the 2 smaller Piraya in 3 or 4 years. Keep the best of the best

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Dude go with 10 Pirayas and if you feel they are overcrowded or have outgrown your tank then just sell a few. Pirayas are the biggest of the pygo family but they grow very slow and to potentially grow a Piraya to 16-20" you will need to have the fish for no less then 10 years.

You do know that Piranhas have been kept for over 30 years in captivity so when you ask how many Pirayas you can keep for life you, you know you are making a commitment of over 30 years?

Hater

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
pirayas grow really large...so I would only go 6 on the 180 gallon like taylor stated :nod:

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
yeah you can go both ways buy a bunch if you got the $ and sell them off as they get bigger. they do get huge but it does take some time so i guess its up to you.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Dude go with 10 Pirayas and if you feel they are overcrowded or have outgrown your tank then just sell a few. Pirayas are the biggest of the pygo family but they grow very slow and to potentially grow a Piraya to 16-20" you will need to have the fish for no less then 10 years.

You do know that Piranhas have been kept for over 30 years in captivity so when you ask how many Pirayas you can keep for life you, you know you are making a commitment of over 30 years?

Hater
I agree with you Hater !

Now you have 3 x 6inch
buy 7 x 4 inch (reasonable prices)
Sell the 5 weaker P when they overcrowded your tank

Because you gonna have 5 monster 15 inch piraya in 15 year ! They will take all the 180G

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Well if yours will grow into sizes like THIS, you might want to consider something much, much bigger! LOL. jk. But seriously, a 180 would be a minimum for piraya IMO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts