Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hopefully getting a 3-4'' piraya in march and was wondering if anybody could post their experience raising these ie-
1-feeding habits and appetite when young
2-aggresion when young towards other pygos like reds
3-ability to adapt to new surroundings
4-likes and dislikes for tank decor and surroundings (personal opinions from owners and things noticed in aquaria)
it will be kept with 2 @4-5'' reds in a 55 gal for now any opinions or observations welcome thank you ....dixon

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Clean water is a very good way to keep them eating and growing. Mine has taking a liking to feeders. and will eat shrimp and fish fillets. My piraya's are the biggest in the tank and will let the others know they are the rulers. And i recomend that they aren't too much bigger.
Very much like playground bully's. They will constantly chase
and squabble with the more territorial fish (cariba's)And very relentless.
One mixed in should be fine with reds.Aslong is that there is no disputes with the alpha red. But give them plenty of room because they have a tendancy of going BIZZEERK.
And if other fish can't get away when this is happining
they could be mauled.
A cariba of mine and a red have been attacked of such instances. But tendancies are fish to fish. These are just mine.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks i should have no probs as the alpha red is being sold and the 2 smallest will be left with the piraya and i will rearrange the tank.........any other info will be appreciated and i will contact knifeman

·
Registered
316 Posts
First, you need to realize that a 55 will not be adequate space for a piraya very long at all. Ultimately, you will need at least a 125 for a piraya in a mixed tank, and ideally a 180 or larger when he approaches a size of about 15".

That said, a young piraya's eating habits should not he too much different than a young nattereri. The only thing you need to remember is that piraya are very particular about their water quality, and eating drive will suffer if the conditions are not kept close to optimum.

Piraya can be very aggressive towards other tankmates, paricularly those of it's own kind. In a mixed pygo tank with other pygocentrus species, I have found that the level of aggression is usually not quite as bad. However, it depends on the individual fish.

I have not found piraya to be too dissimilar to the other pygo species when it comes to adaptability or preferences to any special environment. I have noticed that they like current quite a bit, especially after eating a large meal.

Hope this helps.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks knifeman for the info. the only reason i have kept the 55 is due to the reds i have the only p's you can get in the uk in my area.i will be getting a bigger tank and will start to make my stand once i have the piraya after march 21st the upgrade will be @ june i am going for a 48''x20''x20'' due to space in my living room for @ 3 years then i am going to do a refurd on my house and get either a 6/7/8' long tank as i am making 2 rooms into one, i will only have 2 reds in with it so should be enough room for the 3 of them for a while.
one of the things i do keep on top of is my water so i should have no probs with that and also current will be no prob as i run both internal canister and external filters and the internal gives good current.
one of the main things i feed my reds are whitebait you buy in frozen packs (tiny little 3'' fish) i do not feed feeders and was wondering if the piraya would accept these but if eating is the same as natts then it should be ok
the reds the piraya will be living with will be @1-2 '' bigger only as i am selling the 2 largest reds @7-8'' to make room .......again thanks for the info everybody i cant wait to get this fish .dixon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts