Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Sex Kitten Lover
358 Posts
Yup Yup, something is definitely wrong with them. PM me to get my address, so you can overnite them to me, I will make them feel better

Seriously though, I read somewhere that its normal, mine does it 2.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
This yawning motion they make is completly normal. Not only will piranhas do but as well I can watch my cichlids do this as well. There is no problem with the fish.
...It's probally just yawning becasue it is bored of its owner ...

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Mine do that too, and all their non-catfish tankmates also.
Not sure what the purpose of this is, though: flexing the jaws? Flowing extra water over the gills?
I don't know...

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
yes it is common i think they all do it and until we can speak piranha we wont know why (wheres eddie murphy when you need him)

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Hmmmm, I wonder what the purpose is for this motion as Judazzz said.... The purpose of yawning for humans is to use the extra lung capacity to increase the level of oxygen in the lungs because when you breathe softly, the lungs slowly fill with CO2....

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Hmm.. I never actually seen any of my Ps yawn.. or even take a sh*t. Man, I feel like I havent been spending too much time with them.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Taken from
"Tropical Fishlopaedia"
A Complete Guide to Fish Care
Mary Bailey and Peter Burgess

"What if my fish 'yawns'?
Little is known about this behaviour, but in some cases it appears to be a response to poor water quality, so check ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. Commonly only one or two fish yawn, sporadically, sometimes while shimmying. Both yawning and shimmying are often early warning signs of deteriorating environmental conditions.
Other factors which could be considerd are oxygen depletion and/or raised carbon dioxide levels; incorrect pH; chemical poisoning, including chlorine/chloramine."

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Innes said:
Taken from
"Tropical Fishlopaedia"
A Complete Guide to Fish Care
Mary Bailey and Peter Burgess

"What if my fish 'yawns'?
Little is known about this behaviour, but in some cases it appears to be a response to poor water quality, so check ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. Commonly only one or two fish yawn, sporadically, sometimes while shimmying. Both yawning and shimmying are often early warning signs of deteriorating environmental conditions.
Other factors which could be considerd are oxygen depletion and/or raised carbon dioxide levels; incorrect pH; chemical poisoning, including chlorine/chloramine."
Wtf is "shimmying" (I know shibby, but shimmy???)

Also, if this was 100% true, most, if not all piranha keepers would have bad quality water in their tanks, since most owners have seen their fish yawn...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yeah, I'd have to disagree with the water quality thing. I recently have been taking extremely good care of my water and monitoring behavior(past few weeks)... my little guy still does it. I'm not worried about it.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I do agree with the books statements, it does not say anything is for sure, but it does identify that one of the causes is bad water quality, and I have personally noticed more fish "yawning" when I havn't done water changes for a while, it doesn't say that is the only reason, or that they don't yawn in perfect water conditions

"Wtf is "shimmying" " - Judazzz

in terms of piranhas - good question!

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
bobme said:
so when i get mine, and then they start yawning i might have bad water?
you might, but a better sign for bad water is either dead fish, or simply test it.

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
Innes said:
bobme said:
so when i get mine, and then they start yawning i might have bad water?
you might, but a better sign for bad water is either dead fish, or simply test it.
well i realy wasnt going to wait to change the water when i start seeing them die off, i have planed to change it one a week and test it twice a week

1 - 20 of 26 Posts